1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PONSNESS WARREN inconsistent shot dropping

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Played about an hour scaling shot.
    Using #4 bushing which is 7/8oz. I never got right amount of 370 grain (7/8).
    The lead mass was floating between 240 to 350. The hopper is filed 1/10 of shot, just for testing, with the metal thing which is cover the entrance down.
    I’m wondering if I’m having this inconsistency because of low lead pressure in the hopper? Should I remove that metal thing from inside?

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

That metal piece is actually supposed to ensure consistent drops by providing the same weight regardless of how much shot is in the hopper. Probably not a good idea to remove it. You might want to drop to line to Whiz White, whiz@swsupply.com.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What do you have the reloader mounted to? A good solid bench is what is needed. so the machine doesnt bounce.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

the "metal thing" is acting as a baffle - preventing sheer weight from affecting the loads. without it, a full hopper of shot would produce heavier loads.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Since shot is relatively incompressable a baffle is not needed. Try removing the metal baffle.

I have never used a baffle in the shot reservoir with any of my reloaders (P/W, Hornady, MEC) any my shot drops are always very consistent.

The other possibility is the rack timing is wrong causing the bushing to not fill properly. Make sure the dots on the rack and the gears are lined up properly. Try pushing the rack towards the back of the press when the handle is up. If you can push the rack back when the operating handle is returned to the upright position you have a problem with rack/gear timing or a linkeage problem.

Jim Skeel

6. erm

erm Member

You might want to check to see that the shot bushing is centered over the drop tube when the handle is in the down position. elton - 800 convt owner

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Be very careful with the suggestion by erm. The shot bushing has two different holes it must align with. With the handle down, the bushing must be over the drop tube hole and with the handle up, the bushing must be over the hole under the shot hopper. Adjusting the gear that hold the shot bushing so it is exactly over the drop hole can change the position of the bushing under the shot hopper when the handle is up. A change to align the bushing exactly to the drop hole may cause it to be misaligned under the hopper. Align the dots on the gear.

The baffle at the bottom of the shot hopper can reduce some of the downward pressure on the shot over the bushing and may help to prevent shot shaving when the bushing rotates. The baffle hurts nothing and it may help. I see no reason to take it out.

Pat Ireland

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

The rack gear has a "dot" for locating the bushing gears which also have dots. Align the 2 Dots, powder bushing aligns the same way. Not brain surgery. Remove the shot/powder tube base. Slowly cycle machine until dots are centered to align the bar with both gears. This will properly align both. My PW is hydraulic and I get better consistency than factory ammo.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've had that experience with one several years ago. I gave it to another PW repairman and neither of us could figure it out. Seems that the gears wouldn't completely traverse the openings in the powder and shot drop tubes. Unfortunately, it didn't happen all the time and everytime we thought we had it fixed, it came back and did the same thing. That was a tough one. Good luck!!

10. ansvel

ansvel Member

Thanks all gents for you answers!

Here what i did.

I removed the shot/powder tube base and figured that all dots where they should be. So, with the handle in the down position, I moved a bit gear, so I can see through the bushing, but still the weight is floating by 10-20 gr.
    For comparison, the powder dropping is more consistent.

11. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

My # 4 bushing throws light with hard shot also. Pure soft lead shot will throw close to 370 grs,

12. ansvel

ansvel Member

Can I make the bushing some how wider/bigger?

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your problem is PW. Looks great, but in my experiance "JUNK". Buy a Dillon or if you have the money buy a Spolar. Your problems will go away.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ignore shot410ga - His only comments are to disparage P/W. A Dillon - give me a break! If you can't offer any positive comments, stay off the P/W threads. Chances are you don't know how to operate one in the first place!

If your reloader is not dropping correct charges, AND assuming you are pulling the handle consistently and smoothly, then the bushing is not sitting correctly under the shot/powder reservoir, or there is a problem in the gear.

This happens when someone who does not know that they are doing, messes with the Index Pad. Altering the Index Pad's height can really, I mean REALLY, mess up the reloader in ways you cannot imagine.

The old 800B's broke Index Pad once or twice in their life times; some more than others depending on how they were installed. Some of these 800B's can be as old at 40 years - longer that any Dillon. It is a mechanical device, so you get wear. Over the years most guys would change their own Index Pads.

I have been a dealer for P/W for almost 30 years, and it was not until recently that I was shown at the factory the CORRECT procedure to install a new PAD assembly. And, then and only then did the light go on, as to the why&how of the procedure.

Long story short: Check the top link, the part sticking through to top tool head that operates the Rack Gear. With the handle in full-back (home position), GENTLY press this link BACK (away from you). You *should* get a very minimal amount of free play before the link contacts the rear oval slot in the toolhead.

(1) If the link is resting firmly on the rear aluminum slot, it is too far back, and (2) if you have MORE than ¼" ± 1/8" play, it could be too far forward. This distance is COMPLETELY dependent on the height of the Index Pad assembly - DON'T GO CHANGING THAT!!!!!!!!!!

If you think the Index Pad height needs adjusting, we need to talk over the phone or via email. I will gladly walk you through the correct process.

Whiz White

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Listen to Whiz; I have 3 PW's and he has walked me thru every problem that I have ever incountered.These loaders are just like a car you have to learn how to drive!!PJ

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Heh whiz, suppose this guys talking about a 900E with the same problem. Hmm!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

inconsistant powder drop ponsness warren

installing ponsness warren shot and powder tube twist on

ponsness warren powder drop

ponsness warren powder drop problems

ponsness warren reloader problems with powder drop

shot reservoir ponsness warren 800b