1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ponsness warren help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 357mags, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mags

357mags Member

can anyone help me i need to buy a 410 loader does anyone know if the ponsness warren is good or is there a better 410 loader out there thank you marino

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Best asked on a skeet forum. Skeeters shoot a lot of 410.

I have a 28 ga head for my Spolar. Never loaded 410 bore. I did see some 410 loads off a Spolar and they looked very good. Much better than what I have seen off a MEC.

Don Verna

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Hmmm, I load .410 on the PW. It works fine- but there were some growing pains. I have mine pretty well dialed in now- and I can load almost as fast as I can 12 or 20. You do need to slow down just a bit because there is no forgivness in the .410. I have made several modifications to the unit to enable the .410 to work well. Powder migration is a big issue, mashing hulls on the hull seating post is an issue. I fixed both of these problems on my 800+

John

4. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

My story is almost the same as John's. John- How did you fix your problems? I insert the hull into the die and that eliminates the hull crushing problem. I also had a problem with the new type 410 shot drop tube catching an edge on the hull and spilling shot. The flare tool eliminated that problem. I also had a light drop weight with the PW#1 shot bushing. I ground it out to get .5 Oz on the nose. I now get great consistent 410 loads. I would highly recommend the PW, but expect some growing pains. Billy

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

The hull seating smucnhing problem: I countersunk a hole slightly bigger than the diameter of a primer in the top of the seating post. Then I drilled down a bit deeper with 5/16" drill bit and stuck a magnet in there. By doing all that, if the primer is proud, rounded, etc, it will not stop the hull from sitting flat on the post. The magnet stops it from rocking or moving at all. It really works slick- and it allows you to use the die cleaning brush.

Powder migration - I bought an aluminum base for the EZ-fil hopper from Whiz. Then I pulled out the o-ring powder seal and drilled that countersink about 1/8" deeper and put the o-ring back in. Then I took a nylon fender washer and fit it to the countersink. The o-ring now acts as a spring to keep the nylon washer seated on the powder gear. The nylon washer has a square edge on it and the powder can't get under it and mess things up. I also went one more step and epoxied the powder bushing into the powder gear and then flattened the surface so there is no edge for the washer to hang on. I've loaded over 1000 shells and have had zero migration (I use the WC820 which is a real fine powder)

I bought the flair tool - but the hulls catch on the lower edge of it and mangle the hull a little. It would be nice if the body of the primer punch were a bit smaller in diameter so that the flair tool could be a smaller diameter.

I also polished the stuffing out of the interior surfaces of knock out station - if the knock out spring hesitates at all you get a mushroom that is a real pita to deal with. I wish the spring was just a bit stronger on the .410 knockout.

John

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I make a depriming tool designed to open the mouths on the 410 hulls.

I like the idea of the plastic washer with th eo-ring - GOOD THINKING!

Just remember that reloading 410 is a bit different than on bigger gauges, because everything is simply just smaller.

There are a ton of folks out there using the P/W for 410 and I never hear of any problems more so than any others.

Whiz

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

A P/W 375 is a good reloader for the .410. Powder and wad and shot are inserted at the same station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

powder migration pw 375

what is the thousandth of a p type ponsness bushing