1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren Electric Drive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Which is better for ease of use, the table top control or the foot switch?

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I chose the table top control only because I have a shell feeder also. The foot control frees up your right hand to feed a shell if you don't have the shell feeder. I am sure someone will chime in with different thoughts but I would not have my set up any other way. Good luck with your choice.

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I look at as a safety issue. With your hand operating the toggle your fingers are out of harms way. I once punched a perfect hole in the bottom of my weighing pan, and learned a valuable lesson about how much torque that motor generates. Will it take a finger off? Yes it can.

mike

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I load 20, 28 and .410 on a 800 Plus with the Auto-Drive. I have the hand control. The hand control lets me stop and back up for a folded over wad petal which is important on the .410's. The joystick has a forward and reverse on the one control. To reverse with the foot control you must move a switch on the black box and then press the foot control to back up. I think the hand control is quicker for reversing and a bit more precise.

If all you are going to load is 12 gauge the foot control will be a little faster. It will free up your right hand to pick up hulls.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. skeeljc

Have you ever tried to write with your foot?

Jim Skeel

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim. That's the point....if your fingers are on the toggle they can't be in the machine.

mike

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

It doesn't take long to learn how to make precise movements with your feet on foot controls.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I want to keep my fingers on my hand. ERGO: Hand control.

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have used both and my own personal preference is the hand control. The way I have it set (just to the right front of the loader) allows me to grab a wad with my right hand and place it in the guide and then drop my hand to the box with fingers over the edge and thumb sweep to right operates the motor. As a plus I keep track of my counter start numbers (when I switch loads) on a label on the box.

chipking_2008_030364.jpg

--- Chip King ---

10. skeeljc

My joystick control is located like Chip King's but I rotated the box 90 degrees so that I push the joystick forward (away from me) to go forward and pull it back for reverse.

With the P/W loader I can pick up three hulls with my right hand and still operate the joystick control. I usually grab 5 or 6 wads with my left hand.

Jim Skeel

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

I originally started out with mine rotated 90 degrees just like Jim's set up and it worked great as well. It was then just like working a short little handle.

chipking_2008_030367.jpg

I decided that since there was only a single direction of move needed for the toggle because of the 360 degree motor action I would try both the original setup and the sideways and see which I liked best. For me the sideways setup felt more natural so that is what I went with. No matter which style or which control you use (or which loader you use it on for that matter)the P/W auto drive is FANTASTIC.

--- Chip King ---

12. paul7177

paul7177 Member

How does the foot pedal function? Is it a two position pedal for forward and reverse?

13. skeeljc

The foot control is an on/off control. You must change a switch on the control box to reverse the direction of the Auto-Drive.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. skeeljc

I agree with creeker. The Auto-Drive lets you sit in front of the loader and pay more attention to what is going on. Much better view of what is happening than when pulling the handle.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

15. Raider Red

Raider Red Member

I purchased a auotdrive for a Hornady 366 with the toggle control and once you get the thing set up correctly it is an awesome machine. I noticed I do pay more attention to the loader than I used to. If anyone needs one Jim will take care of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
electric drive for a ponsness warren

ponsness warren electric drive

ponsness warren electric drive review

ponsness warren electro drive