1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren crimp stages

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slkslk, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

OK I have been loading WinAA shells with no problems at all. I have some 6*/pedal crimp shell that I would like to load. I have tried some and the crimps don't always look too good. It has been suggested I go with a smooth crimp head. My question is: Is it the starter crimp or final crimp that would have the smooth crimp in it. Reason for asking is my final crimp stage appears to be smooth on the inside.

Thanks Steve

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Starter crimp. HMB

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

6 point crimp hulls seem to recrimp well without much help from a precrimp die. I use a PW375 single stage press, and when I run a 6 point hull through the press, I just skip the precrimp die (which is for 8 point crimps) and crimp it closed. Mark

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You have a choice of either a 6-point head, or the smooth crimp head.

HOWEVER, it depends upon what you are now using. Are you using the 8-point METAL crimp head with the two wire ears, or the 8-point plastic crimp head?

If you are using the metal set-up, you need the complete new plastic head and mounting shaft unit. If you are using the plastic crimp head now, BUT IT MUST be the latest style plastic head, you can easily install a 6-point head, or the smooth plastic head (my preference for all hulls).

There is an older, obsolete plastic head that has an integral short shaft moulded onto the head itself. If you have this one, you'll need the complete new design.

WW

5. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

My pre-crimp die is a plastic head about an inch tall held on with one brass screw. The shells when leaving that station look good. The final crimp seams to tear the pedals and make one overlap the other. I can take a picture if that helps.

Steve

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Pull out the final crimp and take it all apart.

Has to be a piece of debris up inside where the screw holds in the hardened "whhel" that resembles a can opener cutter.

WW

7. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

We bought a hyd. 800 plus. Once in awhile (3 of 100) we would get a bad crip from the final crip station. Culprit was the shot tube. At some point the unit got out of time and the shot tube was crushed on the end. This would catch the edge of the wad and fold it down causing a poor crip on the final stage.Now we get perfect crips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponsness warren 800 plus pre crimp

ponsness warren crimp starter