1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness/Warren any good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lewddt10, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

Looking for remarks from guys reloading using Ponsness/Warren reloaders. How do you like yours? Looking at the Platinum 2000. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I enjoy mine but it is the only progressive I have used. I went from a 25 year old Mec Jr to the PW 800+ Only downside was the cost. I want a hyd unit but that will have to wait.

3. ralph barnes

ralph barnes TS Member

Jeff:

I have a 800 plus...like it a lot...also, the shell hopper is a great attachment. also, have the hydr's...nice however, not really needed. I had the mec 9000 for a long time, it was also a great reloader for the money.

People at Ponsness/Warren are great to work with if you have any question.
    ralph barnes

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

How about the 900, any problems with them? What are they worth in good condition?

5. BustClays

BustClays Member

800 plus, great machine!!

bustclays

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my PW 2000. I like it much more after I added the hydraulic system. One accessory I would recommend is the extended primer tray but I would modify it just a bit. I use the short primer tray cover that comes with the machine and let the longer tray stick out the back of this cover. That allows me to dump a new box of primers without moving the cover. This requires removing the center and right primer tray cover legs. If you look at the tray, what I have tried to describe becomes very clear.

Pat Ireland

7. oz

oz Active Member

I had a mec 9000 and liked it. I got a pw2000 and like it even more. when you get it it will take some time to get used to it. once you do you will have little or no problems. oz

8. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

Went from a MEC Grabber in 2000 to a PW Platinum 2000. I have had no probs other than my primer feed arm got bent once ( I removed it and bent it back) I would like the shell hopper but never bought it. Every time I think about a Spolar I think how good the PW has been and pass on upgrading. I have loaded 200,000 plus with it

9. GRR

GRR TS Member

I've owned a P/W 950 elite for 15 yrs and load 20,000 rds per year. The only problems that I encountered were having to make some ajustments for Win. dark grey AA and just last week the primer spring broke. Called P/W and had the part in three days. I added a long primer tray and 25# shot tube and cut a hole in my loading bench with a 5 gal. pail to catch the loaded rds. I also added a 12# 700X can to the ceiling with shut-off control and 1" plastic tubing attached and dropped into the powder tube. This keeps my powder at the some level all the time, plus I can load for a long time without adding powder. A paint can cover with a hole cut in it works well for the powder tube drop, this replaces the orignal powder cap.

I really like the Spolar but not for $700 dollars more.

PS I believe P/W are on sale know.......

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had a PW for about 4 months. Purchased new, it was the worse reloader I've ever owned. I've owned Mec (4, including the 9000), DL366, PW, and now have 2 Dillons. The Dillons are by far the best of the group by far, in my 30 years of reloading. The Mec's are OK, just a lot of sheet metal, and they shake, rattle and roll. The 366 is a good loader for the money. PW's, no way. But, some guy's love them and some hate them. I fall into the later group.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

gslam: I agree the PW looks like a highly engineered tank, but I could'nt get 10 rounds out without a problem. I have had very few problems with the Dillons, and I've had one of them since they came on the market (50k + of shells). I could be the exception, however, I've known to many others with the same problems with the PW. But, then again others have problems with the Dillon. So, who's to say what's best.

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I had a P/W 900 Elite and used it for approximately 4 years. It did not have the option of removing a hull, "at will" when a problem arose. When the unit worked properly, it produced a quality reload. (However, that was not always the case). I have since switched to a Hornady 366. ( I had an older version years ago and gave it to my son). The Hornady is not as fast in the production of reloads. (In my opinion). However it does produce a quality reload and is much easier to "problem solve" any problems that may arise; compared to the P/W. (Again in my opinion). I feel it is a more solid machine than the MEC 9000; but will agree the MEC 9000 will produce a comparable reload. My feeling is that if you want a quality reload produced; consider the the Hornady 366 or the MEC 9000. If you really need to produce a large quantity of shells in a short period of time and cost is not a factor; consider the Spolar or the P/W with the hydraulic system. However, in my opinion, the P/W customer relations department leaves a lot to be desired. Ed

13. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

I have a PW 2000 and outside of it throwing a little shot and lubing it, it makes a lot more sense than a Mec.

It's a new learning curve from the Mec.

You can load one shell or a thousand shells and don't have to screw around at all.

You can load the hoppers and dump each one individually when you are finished or changing shot size.

You can also remove a hull from each stage if it is bad or you are not sure if you missed a step.

It has a catch bucket( that I have and ordered seperate)that works well too.

If you are bench loading I would get the shovel handle. I don't have one yet but I will. The ball handle makes your hand sore after a few hundred rounds.

I had 9000G's and will never go back!!!!

If I hit the lottery, I might get a Spolar. They look pretty swell!

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have 4 PW's 2 in 12GA 1 in 28GA and 1 in .410 and I have never had a problem that could not be overcome with a little thought and common sense. I have reloaded many thousands of shells and I would not change to another loader for any reason.

PS 3 are 900's 1 is an old 800B.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.