1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren 950 Value?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ClaySmoke, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Can anyone tell me what a very nice used PW 950 reloader is worth? I know I have read that the short shell holders on this model were a problem, but never could figure out exactly what the complaint was with them. I've found one that is for sale, but don't know what a fair price would be for it. Thanks. Garrett

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

$350.00 to $450.00 would be reasonable.

The short 'shell holders' of the 950 provide less stability for the shell while being reloaded. If the operator is quick on the operating handle then the shells have a tendancy to "wobble" when the machine indexes. A couple of things can happen such as shot "splashing" out of the hull on the way to the pre crimp or final crimp, or the hull not being stable and while still 'wiggling' does not get oriented under the tooling as the cross head comes up. This could crush the hull in any of several stations. There is more of a potential of this happening after the shot drop as the shell is then more "top heavy". A smooth easy stroke of the handle assures the operator of a quality reload with neither of the conditions mentioned above.

It is interesting to note that the 950 was never available in 410.

I hope I have explained it clearly to you.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have the shell holders in my PW2000. The only shells that I have ever noticed to be loose and wiggling are the old style AA's. They would all be loose as they went around just as locdoc described. I would get wrinkling in the crimp end of those, occasionally. All others stay tight, including the new AA's and load just fine. I can also see the condition of the hulls as they go around. For that reason I never mourned the passing of the old AA's.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There is no way I'd ever consider $300-$400 for a 950, but that's just me.

If I paid $150 that would be too much, because the 950 was an extremely unpopular reloader with its short shell holders, compared the the 900 with it near-fuill-length dies. You do not get true full-length resizing. It is the 900 is the forrunner of the Platinum.

P/W did make a Platinum 2000 with the short shell holders FOR A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, but it was extremely unpopular.

Sorry to kill a sale, but the comments needed to be stated.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

6. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

Well, I guess we all have an opinion...I know that Whiz White is the proclaimed PW guru however I have a different opinion than his.

I bought my PW 950 (the elite model with full length dies in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge) at the GRAND in 2005 and I have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds through this machine and have never had to replace or repair any part (except wad fingers).

I own two 800B's (one in 12 and one in 20ga) and I also own a 375 with four die sets (12, 20,28 & 410)

In my humble opinion the 950 is just as good of a machine than any other PW made. I think the price you asked about is a fair price and if you do not like the short shell holders just buy a set of full length dies from PW and you will still be money ahead TERRY

7. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Terry, are you saying that your 950 Elite came from the factory with full-length dies? All of them I've seen, including the one I'm looking to purchase, have the short shellholders that Doug and Whiz describe. Garrett

8. len loma

len loma TS Member

I once owned a PW950 and picked up a PW 2000 with a lot of options for a very excellent price. I sold my 950 for $495. Now having said that and reloaded thousands of shell using both machines I will only say there was absolutely nothing wrong with the 950. A faithful machine. It felt like it took less arm strenght to operate and did not wrinkle AA hulls like 2000. Should one find a 950 at a decent price I would not steer away from it.

Len

9. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

ClaySmoke,
    No, I am not saying that my 950 elite came from the factory with full length dies. When I purchased my machine it had short shell holders but I purchased a separate 20 gauge die set that had full length dies and a separate 12 gauge die set that also had full length dies. I THINK I paid around 130.00 for each of the additional die sets.

By the way, If you purchase a 950 with short dies you have to get the DIE SET in order to change to full length shell holders,you can not just change the shell holders you also need to change the turret head dies......Hope this helps....Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ponsness warren 950

ponsness warren 950 elite

ponsness warren 950 elite for sale
ponsness warren 950 elite reloader

ponsness warren 950 elite review

ponsness warren elite 950
possness warren 950 elite
warren 950