1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ponsness warren 900 size o matic help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmOU, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Hi, I recently bought the above mentioned press and im having a heck of a time figuring it out. It seems to me that when a mistake happens (wad doesn't go in straight, primer doenst seat, wad smashes the side of the case, etc.) there is no way to go back and fix it. Every time i attempt to use the press, I get maybe 5 good shells and 5-10 bad shells before i decide to just give it up and come back to it later. I'm seriously considerring returning the press, but I know that there has to be something simple that i am missing, as most people seem to really like them. I'd really appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You need a Friend --Club Member or someone that knows alittle about loading on a P-W to help you .

Very hard to even try to help on this form .

I have a P-W 950 same loader just short sizing dies and it runs very well . The thing is one small problem will effect the rest of the shells in the loader .

Find some help get it running and you will be happy with the loader .

ALF

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Go back to the main page and look up S&W supply and give Jim "Whiz" White a call and he can explain everything that you need to know.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have manuals and exploded view large diagrams for the 900/950 machines.

Sounds like either or both the primer seating post #140 and/or the primer ram #139 are bend. Your ram is probably the old style (no longer made) which has or should have a "U"-shaped wire on it. If yours doesn't, look at the seating end for a couple of small holes.

If the above is the case, I have new hardened and Mil-Spec monly coated rams and hardened steel seating posts.

The original seating posts were made of Leadlloy, a soft easily machined metal, but VERY, VERY prone to bending.

Loosen the small Allenhaed 3/32" set screw in the primer seating assembly base locate at about 3 o'clock and remove the shaft. Roll in on a flat surface and look of bending. The shaft is about ~0.243"-0.244" diameter and runs in a 0.250" opening, so a small bend with bind it up.

CLICK THE ABOVE WEBSITE URL FOR MORE INFO.

Whiz White

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

6. Squeal

Squeal Member

Whiz, How much for the new primer feed? I have 900 too. The old works fine, but I would like the external depth adjustment on the new ones.

7. whiz white

Sorry I've not gotten back sooner, but have been under the weather for a bit.

They are $99.95 for the brass unit with the adjustable knurled nut.

Whiz

8. Guy

Guy Member

Sell that junk and buy the new (or old) 800 model......I fought with one too many times....finally after two trips to the factory, I asked if they had a rebuilt 800...had them send that back to me....works just fine. The "new" engineering on the 900 has caused much grief to several friends also....they got rid of them.

9. Squeal

Squeal Member

My 900 is 20 years old, produces factory looking shells, and has never had a problem.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have two 900 one in 28 and one .410 have never had a problem with either one of them. I also have a 950 and an 800B that run virtually problem free. It just take patients and a little good advice. That you will get from Whiz just hang in and stick with it.

Bob Lawless

11. whiz white

The 900 & 950 is the forerunner design for the new Platinum 2000. It has the center indexing shaft. It is a good machine when properly maintained, as with anything mechanical.

Occasionally, I have seen here in the shop a 900 with the 8 indexing holes (located under the center collar) become elongated, especially after some hard usage. I normally resurface the top surface of the aluminum turret on the lathe and that usually cleans up the 8 indexing holes. On some occasions when that does not work, I redrill the 8 holes to a larger size and then change the Index Pin to an appropriate size.

You can "GO BACK" some, simply by placing the machine in neutral. Do this by pulling UP on the center shaft's Indexing Collar at the knurled top. Sometimes it is hard to do, if you've never done it. Try it with gusto, and you can partially back-up the turret to straighten up some error. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL that you do NOT back up the turret to a position where a shell could get a double charge.

Your machine is not a piece of junk - that was a dumb statement by someone. You have a machine that has provided years of good service to many shooters. In fact, my shooting friend here has one and has had great success with it. I'd be hearing the contrary, if it was a problem.

Because it appears that you are having so many problems, I have to suspect that the collar that rides in the groove in the center shaft could be worn out due to lack of lube. Machines with serial numbers less than 4390 used a ball-bearing in place of the collar. Machines with serial number greater than 4390 used the collar and machined bolt. Another problem area is the Wad carrier Indexing Bolt. This is a hex bolt with a close tolerance machined surface. If that becomes worn, the Wad Carrier Housing will not rotate counter-clockwise far enough to permit the wad from entering a hull WITHOUT clipping the wad cup on the edge of the hull. It does not take much to wear a flat on that cam bolt, particularly in the absence of sufficient lube. These are $9.95.

Download my "Maintenance & Lubrication" pamphlet at the above website link. I believe I have described this process in it. If not, email me and I will put something together for you.

Good luck and feel free to contact me should the need arise.

Whiz White

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Whiz knows his PW stuff boys, trust me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ponsness warren 900

ponsness warren 900 for sale

ponsness warren 900 size o matic

ponsness warren 900 size-o-matic

ponsness warren model 900 review