1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren 900 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ClaySmoke, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I have located a PW 900 press that a gentleman has for sale for a good price. The unit hasn't been used in a couple years, and has some light surface rust on the tooling set and the shellholders. My question is will this surface rust hurt the operation of the press? I think I would be able to clean it up with some emery cloth, but didn't know if the rust would cause the press to not function properly. Thanks. Garrett

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

We have 2 900 presses that came to us in that condition and the rust doesn't hurt a thing. But I would suggest not using abrasive paper to remove the rust. Rather we used 0000 steel wool and Gunzilla to remove the rust. I would think that just about any cleaner/oil would do the same thing: Break-Free CLP, Ballistol, Marvel Mystery Oil etc. We keep the dies wiped with "Barricade" ("Sheath").

Carol Lister

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Thanks for the info Carol. After I posted, I got to thinking that steel wool would be the way to go instead of emery cloth. Thanks. Garrett

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rust on the vertical posts will affect the machine because the rusted areas will cause undue wear on the nylon bushings in the crosshead. Ona rebuild, I stick these in the lathe and use emery paper to clean them up - keep them lubed up.

Saturday, I just finished up a 900 for a Wyoming shooter, and good friend. His was the older model, under serial number 4390... I like that one better because it used a ball-bearing for indexing. The newer serial numbers use a small roller collar that wears out just too fast.

They are a good machine and are the forerunner to the present day Platinum 2000's.

Whiz

5. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Whiz, the vertical posts were kept well lubed and are not rusted. The unit just has a little surface rust on the tooling and the shellholders. This should all clean up easily with 0000 steel wool. Thanks. Garrett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponsness warren 900 year of manufacture

ponsness warren rust

ponsness warren rusted

ponsness warren serial number yr