1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren 800C Wad Guide Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasant1894, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasant1894

pheasant1894 TS Member

I am having problems with my new-used Ponsness Warren 800C that I hope someone can help me with. Everything works great except for the wad guide. The wads seem to be very tight gong into the hulls and shave off small pieces of plastic at the base of the wad. This tends to cause a bad reload ever 20 shells or so because a wad doesn't seat properly. I have re-indexed the dies and re-centred the wad guide perfectly in the die but I cannot seem to alleviate the problem. I also replaced the wad guide fingers. I am using XL-1 wads and a variety of hulls (AA, STS, Gun Club) and have the same problems with each hull. I have never had any problems with this combination on my MEC Sizemaster. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

When I was using my 800 , I had problems with the wad holder not dropping low enough to get the fingers into the mouth of the hull good enough to stay in when the wad was expanding the fingers against the mouth of the case .

This was a good time back and I seem to recall using a "brand X" wad guide - - but , I was never quite satisfied with that press . Later got a "re-Whizzed" press with the "removable" features . Much better all around - - Thanks to Whiz .

Charlie

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If it's shaving off a bit of the wad cup, then because this is an old machine, and it is probably time to get a new Wad Carrier bolt. It rides in the machined groove in the left vertical post; #66 below in pic.

There could be a couple of other causes; worn bushings, cracked #173, bad/worn coil spring #172...etc, etc.

Remove yours and look for a flat worn on the side of the machined area. I'd bet it's worn. The wear then in turn does not move the wad carrier counter-clockwise enough to totally position itself directly under the wad ram.

Also, I'd replace the obsolete spring loaded wad pressure adjustable wad ram, with the current production wad ram which is adjustable for wad insertion depth.

Remember, the 800C is about 30-35 years old, so depending upon its history of use, and/or the absence of a rebuild, several things start to happen.

[​IMG]

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My old 800C was doing the same thing ... I did as Whiz advises and replaced the bolt and spring ... solved the problem!

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had a similar problem, I found the assembly was not being depressed all the way. #s 62 & 69 get worn and the assembly sticks in the housing. This is also repairable. I put a thin washer on top of 69 and it now works perfectly.

6. pheasant1894

pheasant1894 TS Member

Wow, thanks for all of your help. You guys are great.

I pulled the wad carrier bolt (#66) it appears to be in pretty good shape. I mic'd it to 0.247 +/- 0.002 ant it seems to be fairly round.

I also checked #73 and although it is a little worn it is not cracked.

What is part #71? I don't have this on my carrier assembly. Should this be on an 800C?

Here is another thought. It seems like the wad housing is being initially depressed and then releases too soon before the wad is fully inserted. I think the top half of the wad is then catching on the hull. So maybe the coil spring (#72) is bad? I did remove and clean the housing to make sure that it wasn't sticking and that didn't seem to solve the problem.

Thanks for all of your help.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

#71 is an insert for sub 12 gauges.

Another issue I've not address is 'how quickly' the turret BEGIN to rotate.

If the Index Pad has been played with, it could be set ncorrectly either causing early or last turret rotation.

The manual says a small thickness, but I prefer the thickness of a credit card between the Index Pad and the #67 Index Pin.

A turret rotating too quickly can put the hull at the wrong spot.

Whiz

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

pheasant1894- I had the same problem with another PW model. I replaced some parts on the wad guide with the help of Whiz and the factory only to find out that I had an indexing problem, not a wad ram problem. Once I figured out, with some help, what the problem was, I fixed it quickly. I also learned that fixing something that is not broken and ignoring the thing that is broken will not solve the problem.

A difficulty I have when talking with Whiz or the factory is that I describe parts as the little round thing that goes into a slot and they want to talk with PW parts numbers. If Whiz would learn my language or I would learn his language, our communication would be so much easier. Whiz is getting better at understanding what I say. The last time I called him I asked for the little tube thing in the center slot that my hydraulic system puts a lot of pressure on when it operates the press. He told me I needed the little bushing and the thing that goes into the little bushing. He was right.

Pat Ireland

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

You may want to try the new PW flare accessory that has just come out. It goes on the de-cap rod and opens the case mouth wider.

Please click on URL above.

Michael Stephenson

10. pheasant1894

pheasant1894 TS Member

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think that the real problem may be with the timing of the turret rotation (index plate and index pad spacing) as Whiz and several others have suggested. I will adjust the gap and see if this helps. I will also get one of the flare tools from PW. Several of my hulls have smaller openings and I was thinking that they were not opening enough. Michael, thanks for the info and link!

Now I have a question about the final crimp settings, but that is a discussion for another post!

Thanks again to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable wad guide
how to set wad pressure on mec sizemaster
ponsness warren 900 crushs hulls with wad
ponsness warren or mec
ponsness warren problems

ponsness warren wad fingers

ponsness warren wad issues
troubleshooting ponsness warren 800 wad ram and guide