1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PONSNESS WARREN 800C or MEC 9000 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Let say the money is not an object.
    Who has experience on both machines? You opinions please.
    I’m looking for more reliable, less hassle and more pleasurable device for long.
    Thanks.

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

ANSVEL...You are going to get a lot of different replies to this one, I'm sure. I had a PW 800C, and, while it was a great loader, and well made, it seemed that I was always fighting it to keep it working correctly. I'm sure it was just my lack of ability to keep it adjusted properly, but, why should I have to with a reloader that costs as much as it did? I also have a Mec 9000H. I have never had any problem with the 9000H since I first set it up on my bench many years ago. I guess what I'm saying is that I am more comfortable, and confident, reloading on the MEC so I got rid of the PW. Both are great loaders, and will do exactly the same thing; reload shells. Mec's customer service department is great while PW's customer service leaves something to be desired. I understand they are working on that part, but, who knows what actually will happen?.... All things considered, I'll stay with my MEC, thanks..... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 Trap2
    I've heard a lot of complains about MEC's primer feeder. It does not drop a primer in many cases. What is the weakest part for PW?

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have had a Mec Grabber, 9000, and currently use a 800+ p/w. They all loaded great shells.

I watch every primer which is the weak link it seems on all units. It doesn't drop or one flops out about 1 in every 300 loads on the 800+. I had many more issues with the MEC, but all in all it still was a good loader.

You said if money was not a consideration, order up a Spolar. The only reason I don't have one right now is lack of a hull feeder which I find very enjoyable on my P/W press. I use Spolar hydraulic and just sit with a fist full of wads and watch it work.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have the new MEC primer feeder on both my 9000H and my MEC Grabber. I can honestly say that I have not had any problems with the primer drops now that the primer tray is set up correctly. Frank is correct. One of the biggest problems I had with my PW was the primer feed, and keeping the darn thing indexing properly....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I am betting the answers are 50/50 which should indicate that either machine is good.

I have had 3 9000's and 2 PW's. The only reason I have had 2 PW's was I wanted the upgrades from the 800B to the 800+. Updating the old machine compared to selling and buying new was not significant, but the whole machine is now new.

The 9000's did a fine job, IMHO the PW just does it a little better, does not wobble around like the Mecs and feels like I want a precision machine to feel. I load 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads on mine using all Rem hulls and have found that once it was set I can load all three with no need to make adjustments when switching loads.

check with Whiz White if you need good info on the PW's...he's the man.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The PW with a shovel handle takes a lot less effort when reloading! The MECs don't have the same leverage as the PW.

I wore out a MEC Grabber in less than 2 years. My PW 800C has over 500,000 rounds through it.

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If you primarily only shoot one style of hull and you have patience to set one up properly, I would recommend the PW. If you want to just be able to run about anything through them without invloving much time in your set up and adjustments the Mec 9000 is the way to go.

I have owned a 9000 and an 800 convertible which came before the 800C. Both did a wonderful job. However, after I got the PW set where it wanted it I opted not to change hulls or loads, just because they are precise, just more finicky to get them where you want them. Use the PW for line loads and the Mec for the back ups now. John E.

9. ansvel

ansvel Member

Ok, so far: 60% for PW and 40% for MEC.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If money is no object, buy a Spolar. If you don't have that much money, buy a Dillon.

11. ansvel

ansvel Member

Would be Dillon better then PW and MEC?

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes. I've owned all three and Dillon is the best of the three. However, some will say "NOT." You get what you pay for. It seem to always turn out that way. You seldom see anyone claimimg problems with the Dillon. And parts are free for life.

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I think my 366 is worth every penny. Turns out beautiful shells every time...no hassles.

14. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

I've had a PW 900 Elite since 1990. In the first 2 years I ran over 100,000 rounds through it. I don't load at that volume any more, but I'm guessing I've done somewhere around 250,000 to 300,000 rounds.

The one and only broken part I had is where the primer feed track makes the downward bend from the primer tray itself. That point flexes every time the machine cycles, and will eventually crack.

I have Spolar hydraulics on it, and it works very smooth. If I didn't already have the PW, I would consider the Dillon. If money was truly no object, no question I would buy a Spolar.

Dan

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I divorced my wife in 1970. The first purchase was a P/W. I bought it because of the full length resizing capabilities. I am now on #2 P/W with shell feed & hydraulic power. I have very little trouble and enjoy using it. I was transferred several years ago and bought a MEC to tide me over until I got moved. I kept it for years as a alternate load machine. (So wife #2 Could shoot light loads) Never any problems. If money is no object go Spolar, if you shoot an auto or pump either spolar or P/W just due to resizing. MEC is by far, the best for the money

16. Remo

Remo TS Member

I have both and much prefer the 800c. It justs keeps going and going. Have the hydro & shell feeder attached.

The 9000 is in a 20 ga. and if somebody offers me a good price its gone.

17. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

I can't speak about an 800 but I have a PW2000 and it is night and day from a Mec 9000.

If you enjoy dinking around constantly and finally getting extremely pissed off, then I would say get a Mec. Wait till a piece of shot falls down in the sizer! That is the true test.

If you want to load and make it in time to shoot, get a PW. My PW drops a perfect shell damn near every time.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Get a Spolar. Works great, loads 500/hr, and never fails. Load 12/20/28/410 and love it.

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have had a Mec Grabber, 9000, 9000H and a P-W Silver ST (800C). The only one I have now is the 800C which just happens to be the one I have had the longest (1987). IMO the 800C is a work horse and I read about people adjusting their loaders but I never touch mine. On occaision I have to adjust the throw on the auto shell feed system a 1/4 turn every 5,000 rounds or so but that's it. I load every brand of shell and 3 different brands of primers and don't ever change anything other than the wad that goes with the particular hull I am using. JRM

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

money no object!!!! Heck I would get any of the loaders that have a hull feed and hydraulics!!!! for 500.00 or less I like mecs. Been rebuilding them for a while now. service is great. I finally have 6 loaders set up for my different loads. 12 20 and a 410.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 or ponsness

ponsness warren or mec

pw 800c

pw or mec reloaders