1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness/Warren 800B HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Don E, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don E

Don E TS Member

Hello & HELP ! I am hoping someone out there can give me some assistance.
    I have A Ponsness/Warren 800B reloader. It had been sitting in my Aunts basement since my uncle passed away in 1992. I dusted it off set it up and started to reload some shells. I noticed the primers were not seating deep enough, so I read the owners manual, which leaves alot to be desired, on how to adjust the primer depth. I adjusted the primer seating assembly about six time and it was working. The last time I adjusted it, I set a primer in place and lowered the shell to seat the primer. When I raised the shell back up the handle jammed. It was in the up position but was jammed to the point it had no free play at all, neither did the turntable. I tried for about 5 minutes to free up the turntable and handle, and once I was confused and frustrated enough I slowly pulled on the handle with a good amount of force the handle poppped free but now the turntable is out of time. It turns but the dies now line up between the proper positions. Since I don't know anyone with one of these reloaders I thought maybe someone here may be able to help. I called P/W and spoke to an older soft spoken gentleman that just kept hemming and hawwing and told me to buy an owners manual for an 800C.
    I am hoping someone out there ran into a similar situation and can help. Also seating the primer, is backing out the screw on the bottom of the primer assembly the proper way to adjust the primer depth by raising the whole assembly or is there another way. And can it be raised to high and throw the turntable out of time, which I an thinking is what happened.
    Thanks for you help in advance...Don Galenas, Scranton,Pa,
    If you have a copy of a 800c owners manual maybe that will help too..
    thanks again Don email me @ dgalenas@yahoo.com

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Don..... Go to S&W Supply's ad in the right hand box at the top of this site. Click on it and you will be able to download a PW owners manual and guide, compliments of Whiz White.... Dan

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You have the primer seating shaft up too high, and it is not retracting quick enough to permit the turret to rotate.

You can over come this "stuck" Position but reaching around to the back of the reloader with your left hand and push/press UP the vertical shaft that rides on/against the Indexing Pad. This permits your handle to move up/down without indexing the turret.

Be careful moving the lever handle when in this Neutral position because you can drop more SHOT and POWDER.

When you can, remove the Primer Seating Assembly from the reloader base, and then the seating shaft too (loosen the 3/32" Allenhead set screw on the right side (3 o'clock position) of the seating assembly's base. Remove the shaft itself and roll it on a flat surface to check for being bent. If bent, you must replace it. These are made of Leadlloy, a soft lead impregnated steel (not the best material in my estimation) and replace it with a new one. I sell one made of very hard steel that does not bend easily.

THOROUGHLY clean the assembly once it is removed from the machine.

Whiz

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

If you are loading 1x fired Remington hulls you may not be able to get them to seat completely. I had this with both my 800B and 800+. It is due to the shape of the remington primers and primer pocket being rounded and all other primer brands having a more square profile. Firing them once while they being any are a little proud will fire form the primer pocket to non-rem primer shape and you will have no problem from then on.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Also, make sure you didn't bend the primer seating shaft or the compression housing it goes through. Take it apart and make sure the shaft will rotate freely and slip out of the housing. It's made of mild steel and can be straightened, if bent, and some careful work can set the housing halves made to work properly, if they're sticking.

A word of caution: it's my understanding that the primer seating assembly is in short supply and once the supply dries up, there will be no more. Perhaps Whiz can confirm this as rumor, or not.

good luck....mike

6. whiz white

Primer Seating Assemblies for the 800B/C/CVT machines are in not already completely sold out. I was told there were 5 left and that's been quite some time ago.

As I mentioned above, remove the primer seating shaft and roll it on a flat surface, and I believe you will find that it it bent. You also need to get back to us here on this post so we know what you found. I don't mind helping, but I'd like to know my comments haven't just faded off to electricity heaven.

It really should not matter which primer you use. I use REm's, Win, Federal, and CCI, and use them in the same load with zero problems. Only problems I ever had were with Nolbel Sports.

The steel based shells, like the Gun Clubs, Kemens, etc, may cause you sizing problems or extra effort to do so, anyway.

Whiz

7. Don E

Don E TS Member

Hello and Thanks for your help and advice. I am going to try this again,
    maybe in two or three post. I had typed one long post earlier today and just when I was finished I hit the wrong button and lost everything, about a 20-30 minutes of typing for me. So here we go again.

Last I check my post yesterday I had only heard from trap2, thanks I downloaded that pdf file from S&W Supply, and thank you Whiz for putting that
    out there.

I went home last night and Started with getting the die cylinder back in time. Not to bad, although I just lined everything up by eye, it worked out fine. Is there a gauge to use to make sure the timeing is dead on? ANy way once I got the timing set I cycled the empty machine several times and didn't have any problems. I set an empty shell on the seating post and pulled the lever down and the pushed it back up. As soon as I went to pull the lever again it wouldn't move. The machine was jammed again. So I just kept moving the handle back and forth as much as I could with out being forceful and watched to see what parts were moving,what wasn't and where the movement stopped. I found that the shell was not being pressed up into the die far enough and was hitting the crosshead , I think thats the right part name,
    and would not let the die cylinder turn. I adujusted the seating post a few times and it started cycling just fine. That fixed that problem, I hope.

I then turned my attention on the seating depth of the primer. I kept adjusting the screw on the prime assembly trying to get the primer to seat
    deeper. I turned the screw so much it actually came all the way out. So I looked at the primer seating assembly and realized that the primer ram was not coming out flush. So I loosened the set screw that hold it and raised it up. I just don't know how to properly set it, if it should be flush with the base it comes up trough or slightly higher. Any help or info on that will be appreciated too. Anyway I put the adjusting screw back in and started over trying to seat the primers properly. It went in a little further but not all the way. So I took a close look at the base of the shell and noticed that it was slightly concaved, I was actually pushing the base upin the center. I was trying to use remington gun club with old federal 209 primers, I got 6,000 primers with the machine, I thought maybe the newer primers were shorter so I set a spent primer next ot a fed 209 and the were the same lenght. Then it dawned on me that the primer pocket might be to shallow on the remingtons. I grabbed a federal shell and the primer went in perfectly ! So Now after reading your posts I have to check the primer seating posts to make sure I didn't bend it. Are there instructions or guide on how far this should push up above the base of the primer assembly?

I want to thank you all very much for the information and advice so far I am sure I will be looking for more advice, as a matter of fact...I was going to load remington shells, with federal 209 primer, (which according to a federal rep is the same as a winchester 209)Fig 8 wads, and promo powder. I haven't been able to find any old load data(recipes)for federal 209 primers in remington or federal shell,I have more remington than federal, are they interchangable or is there a big differance. I never loaded shotshells before. I was an avid pistol and rifle reloader.

Thanks again everyone..I will keep a closer eye on the posts and I will definately respond as soon as I am able. I will keep you posted on my progress,
    good or bad.
    Whiz when I need parts I will be in touch.

Happy shooting everyone..Break'em all ! !

Hey Bill, Thank you too ! I'll be in touch this afternoon.

Don Galenas, Scranton,Pa

8. whiz white

Regarding timing: If you are retiming an older 800, such as the B, C, or CVT, be aware that the center gear, the pinion gear, comes from the factory with THREE pairs of detent "holes" in it to accept the set screws used for timing.

These "holes" are indents in the gear. Because the gear is so damn hard, if you simply retime the turrent and screw in the 2 (4 total) set screws on a position on the gear that does not have the indents, then the chances of it slipping out-of-time is greater. The setscrew is just not hardy enough to hold the turret forever.

When I rebuild these machines, I use a flashlight and "spin" the turret to a correct timing position, BUT I TRY TO DO THIS at one of these three detents. THis way the setscrew is held better.

Whiz

sorry for typos, bu tlost part of a finger recently... and am recovering

9. Don E

Don E TS Member

Thanks Whiz, I will definately look for that. It is a 800B that I have, I just set it in what looked like the proper position and tightened the two screws, There are only two screws, you mentioned four total, is there supposed to be outer screws also, and if so what are they for?

Thanks again for the help, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponsness warren 800b

ponsness warren 800b for sale
ponsness warren 800b not indexing
ponsness warren 800b owners manual
ponsness warren parts
ponsness warren reloading
ponsness-warren 800b
used ponsness warren