1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren 800+ with electic drive motor

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Being a curious individual I looked up on PW Website and watched their 800+ series with their eclectic motor drive in operation. To say the least, I was impressed! I have a Spolar that is a great machine , also. I was wondering if anyone had used both, and which they preferred, and why. Watching that 800+ running looked awfully quick ( how many per hour does that baby turn out?). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Charlie

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

Charlie, I have owned and used both. Recently I sold my Spolar gear and went exclusively to PW. I have 3 800+ units in 12, 20 and 28 ga. The reason I went exclusively PW is that I could own separate machines in all gauges for about the cost of one Spolar system. I like the PW 12 ga shell feeder system which allows me to do close to 500 rounds per hour by hand. I had and then sold the PW electric unit as I found that it crushed shells if I did not operate it very, very carefully. I like the feed back that I get with the manual system as I can easily tell if something has gone wrong before I have a crushed shell.

Many guys love the electric unit so I suggest that you get one used on TS for about $500 and give it a try. If you do not like it you normally can sell it for what you paid and will know more for the experience.

Doug

3. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Charlie...I'm like you. The 800+ sells itself when watching it operate on that video. Waiting to see the new model coming out before I purchase.

One question: Is changing the 800+ from one gauge to another that big of a deal? I know a lot of guys have 4 dedicated machines. I don't have that much bench space....or money.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The Shot Show was held and I've no information about a new PW reloader. Did I miss something?

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have had the 800s and 900s in PW including one 800 that I "upgraded" to 800 plus specs and now own the Spolar with the PW autodrive In my humble opinion it is the best of both worlds. With that combo I have loaded about 45 thousand shells so far with NO problems and NO crushed hulls. The auto drive has a clutch to prevent any of those types of problems and insure you don't break loaders. Something hydraulics are prone to do sometimes. I think the PW 800 + is one of the finest machines that PW makes even though I'm not impressed with their plastic powder/shot hopper and head. The PW 800+ with the auto-drive should last you a lifetime.

--- Chip King ---

6. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

I have 3, 900, and a 2000, my 900, 20ga has the auto drive and I can reload about 550 per hour. I think that the auto drive would work the best on the 12ga, instead of the smaller guages. I have mixed feelings about the auto drive but I keep it on the 20ga, since that is what I shoot the most of. I can reload alot faster with out the auot drive, and I would not put the auto drive on 28ga, or the 410

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have never had the pleasure of using the new P/W electric drive,but did use a 800+ with the AutoMate drive when Jim Benn had the product. The 800+ is a terrific loader, but the word temperamental is the only thing that comes to mind. It was always something, and the primer feed was not stellar. Mine of course could have been the exception. And the clutch should be much better than the fuse that blew too often in the AutoMate.

I love the looks of the P/W electric since it uses a rotation, which should fix short stroking either at the top or bottom. It is going to make the full stroke if set properly.

I too am anxiously awaiting to see the new unit from P/W (Patriot I believe?), and if some of the issues with the 800+ appear to be addressed. If you watch the video closely, three things jumped out at me...1) the ejected full shell both "stuck" in the cavity without dropping through the hole and 2) one shot out behind the motor drive when being ejected and 3) the fellow running the unit was stopping it less than top/bottom often. I hope the new unit has something like Spolar that reins in fulls not being directed better. I suspect the top/bottom dead center issue was operator and newness to the machine.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have used the P/W Auto-Drive on my .410's and 28's for over a year now. I had it on a 900 but upgraded to a 800 Plus last Fall. I like the 800 Plus better than the 900 because it indexes a little smoother and the gauge changes are easier. The Auto-Drive is a good match with the 800 Plus as the click at the end of each stroke lets you know when to stop the Auto-Drive.

I prefer the joystick control over the foot pedal. The joystick lets you stop and back up instantly. I can stop the loader for a folded .410 wad petal and back up ever so slightly to straighten it out and continue loading. To back up with the foot pedal you have to first change the switch on the black box and then depress the foot pedal again.

Jim Skeel P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030320.jpg

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have never used a Spolar but I chose the 800+ because I could add the electric drive and the auto case feeder. You cant do that with the Spolar. Mine will flat load the shells. It will kick out a box in 90 seconds and with 4 of my family members shooting, speed counts. It's P/W all the way.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I presently have both. A new Spolar running hydraulics and the 800 Plus also running hydraulics.

I am a P/W Distributor so I am quite familiar with them, and have had a total of three of the Spolars. In fact, I have loaded a total of... just looked, 259 shells on the new one. (No, no reason why no more, other than I've just been shooting new stuff).

I like them both, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I think the primer feeds on both machine are a concern for me from time-to-time. I ended up building some electric vibrators for the P/W machines, and then a few guys asked me to build a replacement for the Spolars. I quite building them altogether as they took so much time.

I used the first Electric-Drive at the factory and was instrumental in getting these going. I sent my P/W Automate to P/W to look over, and following Automate's sale to Mec, the Electric-Drive was a Godsend. I have, however, have had a few guys trading back in their Electric-Drives for the hydraulics. I can't remember why.

The P/W Electric-Drive is available for the Spolar and Dillion's as well.

Whiz

11. Charlie Becknell

I have loaded on my Spolar for about 15 or 16 years. I can load 500-600 per hour using the hydraulic. The only thing I really dislike is that it is one noisy machine. I wear muffs when I load.

Charlie

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Whiz, The electric drives from PW are not available for the Dillon SL900 shot shell reloader, only metallics.

13. TP Express

TP Express TS Member

Didreckson, I just purchased the 800 + with electric drive. If the stroke is not stopped at dead top or bottom, it will still complete the cycle when it is turned back on.

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

TP,

Yes, I think the fact it is circular and MUST make a full cycle if adjusted correctly is a huge plus. Being anal retentive by nature, I would want to stop it at the top and bottom EXACTLY, but if I miss, at least it would run the full route.

The one and only thing my Spolar does not do perfectly, is make up for a short stroke. I tip possibly 1 out of 500 primers...as that is what I just did this weekend loading two cases up. Other than that, it honestly just eats up components like they are free.

I feel the electric would compensate for that one issue, since it would have to go the full stroke.

Now if the electric was the way to go, and other than broccoli rubber bands, has anyone mastered reducing the vibrator noise? I have seen electronic vibrators that like small round electronic keys. But the primers will still bounce around in the tray I suspect?

Anyone know if the new P/W has a vibrator, or they changed the primer feed in some other way?

15. whiz white

Short410ga: I don't believe I mentioned any partciular Dillon model.

Charlie: When the weather warms up, hit some garage sales and try to pick up an old dot-matrix printer enclosure used to silence them. They make a great silence reducer for the hydro assembly.

Whiz

16. Charlie Becknell

Whiz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe it is the worst fault to the Spolar Hydraulic.

Charlie

17. whiz white

Darrell: I located your the Spolar vibrator motor and I giving you. I was going to kleep it for my Spolar, but I can always build more, and this'd be a good reason to do so.

I will send it, but first I need to copy some measurements, as I never put the Spolar one on a design sheet. It comes with extra fuses, a differen Allenhead bolt, instructions, etc.

whizwhite_2008_0203191.jpg

Whiz

18. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Hey Whiz,

Thanks a bunch. It looks like a better mousetrap to me already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponsness warren motor drive