1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren 800 plus

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadpair, Aug 14, 2013.

1. deadpair

deadpair Member

I am looking at purchasing a new PW 800 plus loader and wonder how they compare to the older 800B machines. I currently have a new MEC 9000 and have had more bad shells than I like to have. I have had 800s before and they worked great for me, I have had the spolar and they are the best but are more than I want to spend right now. What do you guys think of the new PW machines

2. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I bought one about 5 months ago and love it. Dale

3. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have one and love it. I have mine on an auto drive and it loads. But you also are more prone to bent primer rams/primer problems. Manually, I haven't had an issues.

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

I had a Platinum 2000, which is nearly the same machine and liked it very much, but a guy 'had' to have it and I sold it. This site has a wealth of PW guys, and it's honestly hard to pick which one to buy from.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

According to Whiz White ( PW dealer ) the 800+s are like the previous 800s, except they have heavier duty parts.

Since my 1st PW 800C was well used when I bought it and since then I put over 1/2 million rounds through it ... I guess the new ones will last forever.

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The 800B & 800+ are basically the same machine, except the 800+ has removable dies, a huge improvement. The plastic shot/powder manifold that holds the hoppers is simply a P.O.S. and needs to be replaced with one of the machined aluminum ones from Jim Skeel asap. For some reason the primer trays have become more flimsy and the tack welds at the feed track break and can't be repaired. I think Whiz is working on an upgraded replacement, and the standard replacements are/were in short supply. If you were happy with the 800B and understood the machine, you'll love the 800+. Consider the electric drive unit, as it beats hell out of pulling tits. I recommend the hand toggle.

best....mike

PS: you can order the kit(s) to load shells other than 12ga.

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have one...bought it new and it is a good machine. I also have a 800 and a 2000. BUT I have a RCBS Grand too and if I only had one loader, it would be the Grand HANDS DOWN!!!

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use the 800+ with an electric drive. It pumps out 500 rounds an hour with no problems. And it still has the plastic manifold with no issues. I didn't like the older PW's because one could not remove the dies easily. The 800+ solved that issue. Just keep it clean and lubed. And I load AA's until they are worn out on the machine.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I know a guy that bought a new one and it has been over 4 weeks with no delivery yet. So whats the deal on that? If you do buy new I would ask whom has one IN STOCK before sending any money.

10. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

I bought a used one and I love it. I've owned or used a MEC650, Hornady 366 and the RCBS Grand and it's better than all of them. Very well built machine that pumps out the shells. A lot of people complain about all the parts and how hard it is to adjust and blah blah blah...those people either have never owned one or have no mechanical ability at all. If you have used an older 800 you will love the 800+.

Fhcira thanked this.
  11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have the 800+ with hydraulics. Personally I prefer the hydraulic system because I can vary the speed with the foot pedal and start, stop and or reverse direction at anytime. Like it is posted above, keep the machine clean and lubed for trouble free reloading.

12. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

The 800B is a solid machine. Had one. I believe they stopped making them to cut down on mfg costs. But they also made improvements as well. The star gear was the weakest link, but the main gear it worked off of had to cost alot of $$ and time to machine. Currently have a 900 and 950. Both are solid. Dies are not easy to remove but dont put crappy hulls in them or you will regret it. My 950 has the updated dies which i like.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I bought an old rusted out 800B for $50. Had to add tubes, and a tray top. After a good thorough going over with steel wool, a drill and a brass brush, it now is my favorite loader. I re-blued the parts, polished up the dies, and it works great. Best loaded shells from any loader I have used. I can use my Hornady 366 bushings also. The only thing is, it does not round in the crimp. Which for me is not an issue, because I use an open breech gun. The 800 Plus does this.

If the plastic base of the 800 Plus, is the same as the metal base of the 800B's, I have an extra one if anyone is interested. The metal 800B tube base that is.

14. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

The 800 + has all the upgrades that you will end up buying for a 800B. Factory installed and ready to go. No brainer!

15. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

I have had a 800+ for several years in 20 ga and never had a problem. You just can't let the primer feed get too low. It needs the added weight of the primers to keep them sliding down into the primer station.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clean the primer tray and drop rail with alcohol then put a little dry graphite on them. The primers will slide like their on grease.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Have owned a P2000 since 2001 and like it a lot. It takes a while to learn what makes the machine tick but after you completely understand it, all is good. I highly reccomend the base and pyrex jars from jim Skeel

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click my website link above and read about the extreme differences between the 800's, 900's, etc., and the new 800 Plus.

They are NOT the same machines, similar, but yet different.

They did, so to speak, stop making them, but actually, like most anything else, the machines evolved into better designs here-and-there. Unfortunately, the 800CVT came out with some plastic parts; rack gear, and primer seating assembly. That didn't last long.

The 800 Plus uses a heavier star gear and smaller, more compact pinion gear, externally adjustable primer seating and shell seating post assemblies. A newer improved brass primer seating assembly, and improved crosshead with bronze bushings and a hardened steel plate on the crosshead to prevent some breakouts, removable dies, EZ-Fill Hopper system, and other items. In essence, much like vehicle manufacturers, they continue to improve the designs.

If you buy the new 800 Plus, and I recommend it over the pricier Patriot, make sure you buy from a dealer who will support you should you have questions in the future. The P/W's accept all the bushings from Hornady, Spolar, RCBS, and I offer a Mec bushing adapter.

800B's have not been sold by the factory since the mid 80's; that's 30 years ago. I, personally, would expect a manufacturer to improved on a well-tested and used reloader in that time period. Many of the parts interchange and I have continued to support the older 800B/C/CVT and 900 machines even tho' the factory has obsoleted them.

Also, be aware that there is about a two week backlog when ordering.

Whiz<BR>
    S&W Supply

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a 3 digit serial number 800B with a half a million rounds that I put through it and God only knows how many before I bought it.I also have 5 other 800B/C loaders. The bells and whistles of the new ones are nice but if you understand how use them withot,no needed.They are fine loaders.Some people can break steel balls in a sandbox with a rubber mallet. Whiz ,Thank You for supporting the older machines. A factory rep about 10 years ago told me when ordering parts for the old loader to use it as a boat anchor! I can tell you other than a squeak I cant find It is hard to tell the reloads from factory shells.It does have the taper crimp upgrade. Jeff

Fhcira thanked this.
  20. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

I have the elect.power unit.only used a little F/F # 500.00 plus Shipping.

Search tags for this page

ponsness warren 800 plus

ponsness warren 800 plus for sale

ponsness warren 800 plus reviews

ponsness warren powder bushing interchange
ponsness warren vs rcbs grand
posness warren 800 plus powder timing
rcbs grand vs mec 9000
used ponsness warren 800 plus for sale