1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ponsness Warren 800 owners ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tdhusker, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdhusker

tdhusker TS Member

Any P-W 800 owners here? I looked at a used one the other day and am thinking of buying it. Any advice on used units? I will only load 12 ga trap loads, mostly 7/8 and 1oz for my kid. Are all bushings and parts available?

Thanks.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't do it.

3. kd185

kd185 Member

i got a 800c and it works great
    when you get it all set up and get the feel and flow of it it can really crank out some shells
    400+ an hour no problem

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My advice is get the serial number and exact model (I think they had B, C and possibly other generations) and contact Whiz White who is a sponsor on this site. His opinion on the possibilities with that reloader are worth the same as around 75 of us individually.

If it does work out, he will be your "go to" guy for parts and advice. I had an 800+ and it is a great reloader. It of course is a newer model, and parts are an issue on the older ones in some cases.

5. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

You didn't say which 800, but I'll go with the majority and say "Go for it." I've been using a 800B since it was new, some time in the 70's. Helluva machine, great reloader, and I inherited my dad's as a backup. Glad to have both of them. And the advice to consult Mr. White is very good advice, by the way. Take it.

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

the old PW 800s are at or past end of life. there are no parts, no service, no nothing. the 800 Plus is the new model and is fully supported and is a nice reloader. You do not want an old one (like an 800B)unless it is proven to be currently working and the price is less than 250 bucks - well probably less than 200 bucks.

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have a 800+ complete with auto drive and shell feeder and I will put it up against any loader out there. I can load a complete box of shells in 90 seconds. Try that with anything else. Like said above, once you learn the machine and understand how everything works and adjust there is none better.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have an 800 Silver ST that has I haven't loaded a shell on since 1992....but it worked perfectly until I quit reloading...

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like PW presses but they can get worn out after loading many shells. A used PW can be anything from an excellent press to a press than is worn to the point that it is not worth much. Unless I knew and had confidence in the previous owner, I would hesitate to buy a used press.

Pat Ireland

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I've had one (new) since the early 80s. Converted to 800C some years later.

Worst thing about them is the primer feed. Can be troublesome if worn.

Once you get them working properly, leave them alone.

I load the same hull with like factory results.

If your buying used from an unknown person, beware. If the machine is rusty, dirty or void of paint better pass.

Regards....Gerald

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When considering used P/W machines here are some of my rules:

Don't even consider one with the black crinkle paint. They are too old and parts support is limited.

The 900/950 series machines are good serviceable units. They are the predecessors of the Platinum 2000. 900's with serial numbers higher than 4930 can be upgraded to the removeable die holder system. All of the 950's can be upgraded. The removeable die holder system makes it easier to correct mistakes.

The Platinum 2000 and the 800 Plus are the current models. The 800 Plus lets you change gauges by changing the complete tool head as opposed to changng the individual dies.

I own an older 900 and a new 800 plus. The 900 is a fine loader. The 800 plus is a fantastic machine!

Jim Skeel, P/W Dealer
    skeeljc_2008_030320.jpg

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I own a P 2000 and love it but I did not fall in love with it until I really learned how it operates and what to do to it if I had a problem. Whiz taught me lots and ever since I got past the learning curve I have been in love. I have had it 8 years. The older 800's are not something you will want to buy

13. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

Well gang, I bought my P&W 800B in the late 1970s; used. I have since updated it to a "C" and have had very few problems with it. I( even put the shovel handle on it. Once I broke a coupling rod/plate to the handle. It broke at one of the pivot points. I got the part and installed it with no problems. Right now I have over 160,00 rounds through it. I used to reload for 4 people (my mother, father and my son and me). Since I got the machine the family has moved 4 times, once to Texas and back. Packed correctly, there was no dammage during shipping. The only "problem" I have with it now is the power tube is discolored due to the use of 800X powder. This was necessary when the Red Dot factory blew up. I have been using Red Dot powder ever since I have been shooting (at age 16 now 61). I am considering purchasing the new setup I've seen here with the clear tubes and the new aluminum base. BUT, I will have to wait until I get my IRS money back this February. Being mechanically enclined I found the P&W 800B (now a C) a super machine, and a joy to use and easy to maintain. And yes it has the crinkle paint on it.

Yours in shooting
    Billy P

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

It depends on the condition and price of the press!You may also have to modify the wad seater for 7/8 oz which is simple to do.This depends on the load and wad you will be using.Most parts are still available except the primer feed.I have extra brass primer feeds but I still use the old style.If you have any mechanical skill's you can make it work great but you need to learn HOW to operate the press.There is a learning curve and some people get frustrated easy.Myself and Billy have the crinkle paint and like it! Looks like Jim wants to make a sale!!!LOL :}Go to ebay and start keeping records of the 800B's and there condition and what they sale for and you can get some idea's.Also call Whiz and he will be more than happy to help you in getting it set up.LocDoc is another dealer you can reach at this site for assistance.I currently have 3 800B's and they are just like the eveready bunny! And fellow shooters on this site will help you along also.If the press is fully operational I would give up to $300.00Good Luck PJ

15. skeezix

skeezix Member

A good well tuned 800B will load shells just as good now as they did 40 years ago. I believe most of the parts can be replaced with 800+ parts if needs be - This can get a touch expensive if you break the wrong thing.

They only real downside to the 800B today is, in my mind, the crimp. It does not do a taper crimp. If that is important to you, keep that in mind. You can upgrade the machine to add taper crimping ($150 IIRC)or you can buy just the crimp tooling and then machine the dies down a touch to the new shorter dies that were required when taper crimping came out (800C machines I think)

I THINK, that AA HS hulls can present a problem on the 800B machines- IIRC the HS hulls are a touch short and do not crimp well with the taller sizing die on the 800B. STS hulls are fine (and better hulls anyway). The new dies, or machined dies for the taper crimp setup will also fix any issues with the HS hulls.

John

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Find out which one it is first. Some still have part being made and the older ones do not. You don't want to buy a loader that doesn't have parts for. Not having parts justs kills a loader and makes it nothing but a paper weight.

17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I hear some parts are not available... Exactly what parts are you talking about?

18. skeezix

skeezix Member

This is what I've been told in the past:

"The only thing that you can't replace once the current stock of parts is gone is the 800B 12 gauge primer feed. It is the only part that was exclusive to the 800B. The new style primer feeds will work on the 800B, even the 12 Ga. but it will leave a mark on the base of the shell U shaped where the raised portion of the new feed presses into the base of the shell. It is basically a cosmetic problem. By changing the cross-head to the new style and using the new primer feed you can update the B to a CVT.

Remember, the primer assembly is not the only exclusive part on the older 800's. The 800B, C, and CVT use a 7/8" diameter cross-shaft. The newer Platinum series and 800 Plus series machines use 1ΒΌ" diameter cross-shafts and these hold the operating handle and side links."

I know that the 800B use a spring loaded wad ram that you can't get. To install the solid wad ram that is on the 800+ machines you would have to machine out the tap in the tooling head, install a heli-coil insert and then install the new wad ram system (or buy a new tooling head all set up with new dies and tooling)

I believe that you can't get the old style knock out punch either - so there is some machine work on the tooling head to adapt it to the new knock out design. I don't know how you would ever break one or wear one out though.

The cross shaft is probably the single biggest replacement issue - and the only way you will break one of those is if you get something really jammed up and decide to force the handle. Then you could break the cross-shaft or the connectors on the cross shaft.

John

19. gotbass

gotbass Member

Another vote for the 800+ and Whiz White. Both great.

20. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I bought my 800 Silver ST in 1986. I have loaded well over 300,000 rounds on it and i have replaced the wad guide fingers about 6 times and the I'm on the third primer tray. I have done some upgrades like the externally adjustable primer feed, Auto shell feed, and one of Jim Skeels' base plates. BTW, Jim, it has the krinkle paint finish. It was slightly used when I bought it. I also have an 800 Plus but It is sitting in the closet waiting for the day I need it. I have been thinking about selling the 800 Plus snce the old ST keeps on cooking. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

800x in a ponsness warren