1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PONSNESS 800-B

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gold40, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

Is there anything unusual (or dangerous)about a Posness Warren Model 800-B progressive reloading tool? An acquaintance says this model was discontinued because of "problems".

One is available used (12 ga.) for $300 locally. Is that a reasonable price? Are parts still available?

Any comments from current owners?

THANKS....

gold40

2. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I have loaded on one since 1973 with no problems and hove only replaced the wad guide fingers and converted it to a taper crimp die configuration.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Your "acquaintance" or "friend" is absolutely WRONG. I just have to shake my head at some of these stupid comments made by non-researched folks.

The 800B wasn't discontinued due to problems, it was sold for nearly 40 years. I guess if there were problems then they did pretty well selling the same machine for that period of time.

It just amazes the hell out of me that some people can concoct absolutely ridiculous "facts."

Following the 800B, P/W brought out the 900/950 series which used a center shaft to generate the rotating turret. Because so many folks still wanted the predecessor 800B, 800C, and 800CVT, (which would be 'wrong' according to your misinformed friend), the factory did an upgrade to what is now their present day 800 Plus. It is basically an 800B with some design changes; larger diameter cross-shaft, elimination of aluminum end caps, EZ-Fill hopper system, the externally adjustable brass primer seating assembly, and the neat removable die access system.

And, because so many folks bought and still use the 900/950 style machines, P/W upgraded that design to the present day Platinum 2000. It also has the same removable die system, brass externally adjustable primer seating system, EZ-Fill Hopper system, etc.

Both the 800 Plus and Platinum are current models.

I sell the entire line of P/W including parts and do rebuilds to this day on the older models. You can always find one selling on eBay and this site, so the 'problem' machines still garner shooters who want them.

Tell your misinformed friend that if he's still driving his 40 year old car, I'd bet he'd have a helluva lot more problems with that, than one of the 800B machines. Mechanical devices wear out and need rebuilds and parts; no different with anything else.

As far as your "dangerous" comment, what do you consider dangerous? You load shells and follow manufacturers' guidelines and there is no danger. However, you go fooling around doing things you shouldn't and I'd suspect they will find you.

Tell your friend to do a little research.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor/Exporter - 35 years

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Well said Whiz, and gold40 to answer your question $300.00 is a good price for a good one. I have one in my shop for sale for the same price that is like new.
    Don

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whiz--I load on a Pacific DL366. I always admire the P/W loaders. How come when i find a used one no matter which model it always seems the paint or powder coating(whichever it is) is coming off everywhere? Not that it would affect the operation of the machine but it just seems to be a visual kill. I'll probably end up with one someday just because i love machines of all kinds but i doubt you'll ever see my Pacific for sale.

Matt

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I bought a used 800-B from an estate in 1976 and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it. Repairs have been nil, a few wad guide fingers and a powder shut-off lever. No "dangerous problems" here. Larry Evans

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I bought a low serial number 800B in 1975 and still use it to this day. I wore out the primer feed and some wad fingers. A have reloaded a lot of shells with this machine. $300.00 is a bit low. Good price for you.
    Todd

8. whiz white

Matt: I owned and happily used a DL-366 for a couple of years.

The only part I didn't like was that to resize, it was sort of an "outside" operation, not part of the natural reloading sequence. I bought it from Joyce Hornady himself. He was here mining shot with him son, Steve, present CEO of Hornady. Consequently, I went back to my P/W for the sizing convenience.

I have used about all of them except a Dillon. As a dealer, I never could strike up a deal with them, so I didn't ever get one. RCBS has customer service second to none.

I have a new Spolar (have only reloaded 1,000 rounds with it) here at the shop as well as the 800 Plus. I like them both, and both run hydraulics.

In fact, I have an extra current model hydro unit for sale for $750. It's nice, complete, instructions, etc.

Whiz

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If your looking at a machine with paint missing or peeling it's due to lifting or moisture getting under the paint.

In other words it's been stored in an improper environment. Probably has a film of rust as well.

Many of these machines end up in the hands of people who know nothing about them and get thrown in a storage shed or garage........ Beware.

Regards....Gerald

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I picked up one of those misused improperly stored reloaders with the paint peeling and simply cleaned it up and put a minimal amount of money and TLC into it and now I have a perfectly operating unit!!
    It depends on your mechanical skill's and this web site has plenty of optimistic people who are willing to help with info and spare part's!PJ

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Paint peel and even minor surface rust doesn't scare me at all. I had just noticed that the P/W more than any other loaders had paint peeeling issues and wondered why. Thanks again.

Matt

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I loaded on 366's for 30 years.. I then bought a 800C and fell in love..While Whiz sold me my 800+..and its been flawless over the 120,000 rounds thru it..I miss the ping/clunk of the older 800.. It put me in a rythum that led to excellent.. uniform shells.. The only small problem I had..Whiz furnished the parts and the instructions to put it back to perfect.. I'd say look it over good..before you buy however.. I'd call Whiz and ask him where and what to look for..

I still love my 366's.. but now.. they are only used for 20 gauge.. With the automatic hull feeder..the 366 can't keep up with the quality production I get out of my 800's.. All Good.. Mike

13. whiz white

The 800B and 800C reloaders had a black wrinkle finish paint sprayed on their aluminum forgings.

Probably should have had a zinc chromate primer coat.

The present day P/W machines have the traditional baked on powder coatings that resist peeling.

I have sand blasted many an 800B and repainted with VHT wrinkle paint and then baked at 400º. Seems to adhere longer.

I have on occasion with the help of my son and another churned out over 1,000 rounds in an hour's time. You really need to be cranking, someone keeping primers loaded, powder and shot full, and someone handing you wads and hulls.

I'd say the max possible with a hydraulic unit would never exceed 1,200 rounds. It takes about 2-3 seconds (3600 seconds ÷ 3 seconds per shell) to cycle and you invariably going to have a screw-up to contend with. These are maximums, and one should be comfortable with around 600 rounds an hour.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor/Exporter

14. gold40

gold40 Member

THANKS for all the helpful feedback !

15. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

gold40, it seems like all of your questions except one have been answered:

Are parts still available? The answer is yes, for now. Taken from Ponsness Warren's website:

"Attention, owners of 800B, 800C, or 800Convertible reloaders:

After our parts for these models are gone, we will no longer stlock parts or manufacture parts for them. You may want to order any parts you need now"

IMO, if you were to buy this particular model, you should be aware of the above, and take it into consideration.

Samer

16. whiz white

They are now again making the brass primer seating assemblies for the 800B/C/CVT for $150.

Whiz

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like the PW loaders I have owned. But, they do have one serious problem. Now and then they will load a shell that looks like a good load, but when shot, the load will miss the target.

This PW problem is a bit worse when the machine is loading handicap loads, bit is is still around when loading singles loads.

Pat Ireland

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Apparently you haven't located the disguised "accuracy" screw that P-W secrets at the top of the bore that holds the crimp starter: calibrated at the factory to "average", adjustable by user from "FNG" to "Superstar".

MK

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Under normal usage I fail to see where you will need parts other than wad finger replacement. Abused machines I can see the need.

However, the primer feed has always been the biggest problem for me.

Never did want to feed Fed. primers consistently. CCI,and Win. fed OK.

Is the Brass primer feed an improvement worth buying???

I can't get excited about the removable die system yet.

Once you learn how to operate the machine screw ups can be minimized.

Further comments appreciated.

PS Gary, A great looking reloading area.

Regards....Gerald

20. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

I have been loading on a "converted" 800B for nearly 35 years. I can say I have had only one "disaster" with a broken part on the machine other than replacing wad fingers. I recently installed a vibrator for the primer tray (my own design for the vibrator) and a bottle level for the shot tube. The shot tube was so dirty that I could not see the actual level in the tube. It incorporates a red LED, for when the bottle is near empty and a green LED to indicate I have sufficient shot in the tube. With the right rythmn I turn out near factory like reloads.

Going from a Texan single stage press to the the P&W was a real dream for me. At the time I was reloading for 4 and needed something a bit faster than the Texan. The P&W was purchased used and in fairly good condition. With loving care my press has seen nearly 250,000 rounds pumped through it.

I am not a "rich" person of means. The P&W provides what I need and I do not need a "Cadallic" that does the same thing my machine does...crank out a fully loaded shell every time I pull on the handle. It has served me well and I expect to continue using the P&W until the day I hand it over to my son and his wife.

Best shooting to you all. Happy Thanksgiving. Drive carefully and shoot straight.

Billy P Rochester NY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

accessories for ponsness warren 800b

converted 800b

ponsness warren

ponsness warren 800b ez fill hopper

ponsness-warren 800b

ponsnesswarren800bprimerfeed

trouble shooting ponsness warren 800b