1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PONESWARREN LOADER QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Aug 22, 2013.

1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

HELLO i HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT PONESWARREN RELOADERS. iM THINKING ABOUT BUYING ONE. i HAVE NEVER HAD A PROGRESSIVE LOADER. i HAVE ALWAYS USED MEC SIZMASTERS.

I SEEN A PW 900 FOR SALE BUT I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS MODEL.

1. WOULD THIS BE A GOOD LOADER FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER USED A PROGRESSIVE LOADER?
    2 THE LOADER IS IN 20 GAUGE WHICH IS WHAT I WANT. I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE DYES SO I CAN LOAD 12 AND 28 GAUGE AS WELL. HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE GAUGES ON THIS LOADER.
    3 HOW MUCH OF A LEARNING CURVE IS THERE WITH THIS LOADER? CAN YOU STILL BUY PARTS AND MANUALLS FOR THIS MODEL?
    4 WHAT IS THER PRICE RANGE THAT A 900 IN 20 SHOULD GO FOR, ALSO IS THERE A BETTER MODEL TO CONSIDER
    /
    ANY HELP BE GREAT. HAVE A GREAT DAY.

2. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

I suggest reading this:
    http://www.swsupply.com/downloads/history.pdf

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

We ALLLLLL suggest you look at the above listed information. Wiz is not the man he is THE MAN when it comes to PW. I have three PW's, one a 900. Honestly it is not my favorite. It must be kept spotless and requires more maintenance that my other two PW's. Does it load a good shell?? Yep. As far as progressives go, you will have to learn the machine, no matter whose it is, and there will be frustration a-plenty until you do. It's complex machinery; change one station, you change 7 more.
    I think it prudent to say that if you don't load large quantities of shells, you may not be happy. Changing from one size to another is a whole nother animal. It can be done, you will lose a bunch of hulls in the change over going both ways. Your money, your call.

4. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

thanks for the info.. I will probly just buy one gauge and leave it, and then pick up the others as I find loaders for sale at a good price.

There is alwyas a learning curve to everything in life.

Hey it wouldnt be any fun if everything was perfect.

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Changing gauges on the 900 isn't all that difficult. The 800+ is easier in my opinion, but the 900 isn't all that difficult. 10-15 minute project after you've done it a couple times. Making a few measurements - wad ram depth, crimp starter location, etc. saves a lot of time and tribulation.

I can't point to the link right now - but on shotgunworld there is a poster that goes by dano523. He has written up the change over procedures that he uses.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Learning curve with any.

Yes the 900 is a great loader and as far as changing gauges I like to have a loader for each but hey each to there own.

Price 400 would be a good price and seems a fair price is 450-500. Although I see them selling on top of 5 on Ebay but that just seems to high for me to buy.

PLUS STOP YELLING WITH THE CAPS PLEASE. ;0)

7. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Buy the die set for your 12g. Sell the 20 gauge die kit. I sold my 12g die kit for $110 on Ebay.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The 900 is fine for one gauge. Parts are still available. If you intend to load multiple gauges I recomend the P/W 800 Plus. You just change the complete tool head on the 800 Plus to change the gauge. The difference between changing dies on the 900 and the tool head on the 800 Plus is about 45 minutes to an hour. You have to adjust the dies on the 900 when you change tooling. The dies on the 800 Plus are locked in place on each tool head.

Send me your shipping address for a quote on a new 800 Plus.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

9. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

SORRY FOR THE CAPS.....I HAVE SOME SEVER VISUAL PROBLEMS AND IT MAKES IT EASY FOR ME TO WRITE IN CAPS. IM NOT YELLING.

10. hera200

hera200 Member

I cant overly emphasize how timely your question is since I have spent the last two days SLAVING over an 800B PW i just bought used. Talk about a learning curve...They should provide a personal instructor with each one!
    I admit I am not the most adept individual when it comes to mechanical things not horrible either and I can say that if I had not had the help of a highly talented 17 year old these past couple of days that this loader would be long gone down the road and it may still end up that way.
    Admittedly, the 900 is somewhat easier to operate than my 800b but still has the same basic operation. It is a little easier to clear when a mistake has been made than my 800b but i would suggest that you be ready for a l-o-n-g learning curve.
    These machines are built like a tank and I am sure will last an awfully long time. I hope you have a real strong arm to operate the handle and are not somewhere where noise will be an issue.
    I took a day off today to recover from my last two days efforts and intend to return to my loading efforts tomorrow.
    OH YEAH, the 17 year old has been using his 900 for 5 years now and he will be there FOR SURE tomorrow. What I wouldn't give to get my Pacific (Now Hornady) 366 auto back from 20 years ago!......BUD

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

Either Jim White or Jim Skeel are experts in setting these machines up. I know Whiz has several documents on his website about setting up and timing them.

Here is a thread on shotgunworld about setting up an 800b. Look for the long post by dano523.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=185362

John

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Maybe the first time with aregular die set may take a while but all the parts have adjustments and only need adjusting one time ,You must also set up the 800 plus head also.. You still have to change shell holders , the seating post and take apart the wad guide. I will give anyone a run for there money on changing out dies on an 800c/convt. and maybe even the B. Jeff

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 900 4/10. Was bored tonight and got it set up and dialed in making perfect shells in less than 30 minutes. I wont be changing it for sometime now. They are simple and honestly if you have COMMON sense you will have no troubles.