1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polychoke on a Win mod 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

A friend of mine just purchased a 3" Mod 12 with a solid rib. All original super duck gun from about 1950. It has a full choke barrel, my friend wants to shoot geese with it but is afraid to put big steel shot thru it. Wants to install a polychoke. What can I tell him so he won't ruin this really nice old gun.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Tell him to buy a used 870 if he likes pump.

You already said what needs to be said, if he insist, it's his gun. There's only so much we can do to save one from being stupid.

3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Get him a Benelli Nova.Why mess up a nice M-12.

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

If you want to use send it to Briley for choke tubes.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Shoot the damn thing. If it happens to swell then screw choke it. Jeff

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

"You just can't fix stupid"

Ron White

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Jeff is right. The thick muzzles of a Model 12 Heavy Duck are unlikely to be damaged by steel. If they are, that is the time to mess with choke tubes or other devices.

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Have Briley open the choke to modified. Modified will handle
    steel just fine and he won't have the expense of adding choke tubes.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tell your friend to sell the gun to someone that can appreciate it for what it is. Use monies for something newer.

In my opinion, shooting large steel which I presume your friend will do for geese will at the very least, ring the barrel.

10. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

If he INSISTS on altering this treasure, go BRILEY.
    JMHO
    ///olde pharte/// ML Johnson

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Tell him not to shoot steel in that barrel with a full choke they are very tight and steel does not comoress like lead that gun was made for and will damage the barrel of a classic gun. Once he is made aware of the facts i hope he makes the right decision. I would keep it original at best have it opened to shoot steel. I would like to see the gun beeing shot so opening it to Mod for steel would be my first choice and it could still be a great all around hunting gun with lead loads. Mod with larger steel shot for pass shooting and smaller shot for over decoys. If he choses choke tubes tell him to use flush mounted chokes to keep the classic look of a M12 and flush chokes do not losen like extended chokes and keep them greased so they do not get stuck in the barrel.

Keep that old M12 shuckin I shot/hunterd with them since I was a boy in the 1950's

Buddy Walters

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

beauty of a gun!! Just open it up some and shoot the sh## out of it.They are meant to be used. Bill

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Trade it for a used Rem SP-10. Probably get an even trade. He'll also be further ahead because he wouldn't need to buy aspirins shooting 3 inchers.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have seen several with poly chokes. What exactly is the problem with the adjustable choke? Short cone and bad patterns? Bill

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a Poly choke just like a beautyful girl wpth no teeth !!

Butt ugly and devalues the gun by 50 percent

16. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

A public hangin is n order if he does that ..... I'd rather send it to briley if I had to have chokes but I'd rather leave it alone!!! Most barrels aren't concentric with Inside dia & outside dia. So I worry bout point of impact

17. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

He can shoot a tungsten/iron alloy like ITX or Hevishot or even Bismuth if he can find it out of that gun and not touch the barrel. I have been using handloads of ITX out of a Model 12 Heavy Duck and have had no troubles at all.

I wouldn't alter a Duck gun just to shoot steel shot when there are quality shotshell alternatives available. When I do shoot steel shot I use a Browning BPS or a Mossberg 500. Altering a nice Model 12 just to shoot steel shot is against my religion.