1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poly Chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Does anyone have the scoop on screw in Poly Chokes?

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have two. Pluses, they do work. The first thing I did was to pattern them through all the settings. They will shoot from cylinder through full patterns. The drawbacks, they do add a little weight to the front of your gun. You will also see them when looking down the barrel. The nonventilated model adds less weight being shorter. Many don't like the way they look. Personally, I like mine. That is why I bought a second one for another gun. I like being able to instantly choose another choke. The added weight actually helped me smoothing out my swing on crossing shots.

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I know they were very popular with hunters back in the fifties and sixties, but you don't see many in use today.....choke tubes pretty much dealt them a massive blow.

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Choke tubes did replace them. But I have full sets of choke tubes for the two guns I own with polychokes on them. The choke tubes stay at home in a drawer.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I have the ventilated model in my Benelli Ultralight and love it. Helps with the swing and follow through especially on such a light gun. Shot a couple thousand rounds of skeet and sporting clays with it right before hunting season and don’t think the factory chokes will ever go back in it. Not willing to get one for my trap gun but like highflyer said patterns are pretty good.

I hunt grouse with a cyl. or neg bore where you can’t see 10 feet in front of you, pop out into a field and in a second twist it to IM for a pheasant. Really am spoiled with it after only one season.

Every couple hundred rounds or so carbon builds up on the threads for the choke constrictor and you have to take it apart to soak and clean it. Not a big deal and doesn’t take long.

6. Mike

Mike Member

Where do you get them? How much? Mik

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Poly-choke.com

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Good old "Dial-a-Duck". Great for hunting!

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.