1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Poll: switch to 2 eyed & high ave.(aged 55+)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack L. Smith, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Looking for short responses. How many shooters on TS, over mid aged (50 or so?) have successfully switched from one eye to two eye TRAP shooting and maintained or improved their average to 95+?

Weigh in Y or N, and brief comments.

Thanks,

js in PA
  2. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Member

No--Hell no...SMOKIT
  3. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Member

I did. Got a new gun, tried the 2 eye way, and the new gun fitting right and the new way of looking brought me up from high D-low C, to high A class. Doubles went from D to A, and handicap from 20 to 26.5 yards. Two eyes is definitely the way to shoot.
  4. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

Phil Kiner conducted a survey like this. Send Phil an email and ask him the results. I don't mean to pirate your thread but I would like a survey the other way around: How many have switched from 2 eyes to one or use the tape patch because of crossfiring and what was the average before and after the switch ?
  5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

TTT

225+ views, not many posts. Is this valuable data yet?

Weight in, thanks,

js in PA
  6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Personally I think this, you are either a one eyed shooter or a 2 eyed shooter from the onset. I naturally started out as a 2 eyed shooter, I cannot explain how or why, I was never taught which way to shoot, 2 eyes just came naturally.

If a shooter loses sight in one eye and has to switch or shoot a side sighter
    there is a time consuming learning curve.

I know several shooters that mount the gun using 1 eye and then opens the opposite eye to shoot.

There are so many variables on one eye Vs 2 eyes, with Nora Martin Ross being a One eyed shooter and her fantastic ability at shooting you know what I am talking about.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I started with one eye and switched to two eye. Two eyes is MUCH better for me. Ray
  8. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

I didn't start shooting shotguns until I had spent years with handguns and rifles, which commonly are shot one-eyed, so I "naturally" started shooting trap one-eyed. Unknown to me, I became intermittently cross-dominant. My friends all told me I just HAD to shoot two-eyed, so I tried it several times for a month or so at a time and could have a 24 on one trap and a 14 (or less!) on the next without a clue why. I eventually learned the cross-dominance thing was the culprit but I felt so much more comfortable with both eyes open that I went to Phil's Kiner's tape system.

But a few years ago, that stop working, too, so I'm back to closing the left eye. My shooting still sucks due to the other vision problems I have, so I now just shoot when the mood strikes and then just for fun. Right now, I need shoulder surgery that I want to put off until fall. I haven't shot trap in four months and it will likely be almost a year before I will be able to.

Dr. Frank Rively, who himself is a very good converted two-eye shooter, used to advertise that he could convert a shooter to two eyes in a weekend. I'm not saying he couldn't but I've never met or heard of anyone with whom he was successful.

Including Frank, I know two trapshooters who made the switch to two-eyed. Both say it took about six months.

Ed
  9. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

went from:

right hand to left hand
    one eye to two eye
    high gun to low gun
  10. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

No. Regards, Ed
  11. zzt

zzt Active Member

I started shooting 2-eyed and couldn't hit a straight away. I went to 1-eye for years. A year after I resumed shooting at 55 I still shot 1-eyed and decided to go to 2-eyed no matter what it took. I don't have a dominant eye, so it was a problem. It took a huge effort and a lot of practice, but I finally made it and my scores improved a lot.

I have tried going back to 1-eyed on two occasions, once when I found out I had no dominant eye, and again when I found I had the same sort of eye trouble as AveragED. It didn't work either time. I simply cannot stand to shoot 1-eyed, no matter what.
  12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The way I look at it is, God gave us two eyes for a reason. Why handicap yourself.
  13. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

I pick up the bird with both eyes, then close one and focus with dominant eye right before the shot. I guess it's unorthodox, but it works for me.
    YB
  14. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Poll Results: switch to 2 eye age 50+ & get high ave. (95+)

So far, 612 views here.

Perhaps some duplicate views or post checkers so lets say 500 views.

One shooter (1)(Shooting Sailor) switched to 2 eyes and greatly improved to high A, and 26.5 yards, and improved doubles.

No other poster claimed to be over 50, and had an average of 95+ after switching to two eyes,with any details.

Some posted with their opinions, (thank you!) but no data, scoring average or details of success.

What can we conclude from this informal poll?

Switching to two eyes for folks over 50 and improving to a 95+ average is rare?

Switching to two eyes for folks over 50 happens, and perhaps some improve, but attaining a 95+ average is not represented in the ts.com community very often?

Shooters 50+ with 95+ averages are and have been 2 eyed shooters?

Many HAVE switched to 2 eyes and improved to 95+ but are keeping it a big secret?

Sure there are lot of questions not asked in this little poll, like are you a one eyed shooter with a 95+ average etc. The here focus was switching for defined success in a certain age group.

Conculsion: ? from this quick poll of fairly active & dedicated trap shooters, it seems that switching to 2 eyed, after 50, and attaining or improving to a 95+ average is so rare that the probabilty of success is very, very low.

Your thoughts?

js in PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.