1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll results 50+ 2 eye switch success results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack L. Smith, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Poll Results for: switch to 2 eye age 50+ & get high ave. (95+)

So far, 612 views here.

Perhaps some duplicate views or post checkers so lets say 500 views.

One shooter (1)(Shooting Sailor) switched to 2 eyes and greatly improved to high A, and 26.5 yards, and improved doubles.

No other poster claimed to be over 50, and had an average of 95+ after switching to two eyes,with any details.

Some posted with their opinions, (thank you!) but no data, scoring average or details of success.

What can we conclude from this informal poll?

Switching to two eyes for folks over 50 and improving to a 95+ average is rare?

Switching to two eyes for folks over 50 happens, and perhaps some improve, but attaining a 95+ average is not represented in the ts.com community very often?

Shooters 50+ with 95+ averages are and have been 2 eyed shooters?

Many HAVE switched to 2 eyes and improved to 95+ but are keeping it a big secret?

Sure there are lot of questions not asked in this little poll, like are you a one eyed shooter with a 95+ average etc. The focus here was switching for defined success in a certain age group.

Conculsion: ? from this quick poll of fairly active & dedicated trap shooters, it seems that switching to 2 eyed, after 50, and attaining or improving to a 95+ average is so rare that the probabilty of success is very, very low.

Your thoughts?

js in PA
  2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I mentioned on your initial thread that Phil Kiner conducted a similar survey. I for one would be interested in Phil's results. There are several conflicting issues going on here. I am 72 and now suffer from age related occasional crossfiring that did not occur when I was younger. A shooter that has a definite eye dominance for his/her on shoulder eye is going to have a much easier transition to 2 eyed shooting than a person who has occasional crossfiring tendencies. You cannot expect meaningful survey results without taking these important individual concerns into consideration. I would not recommend wasting a lot of effort to switch to 2 eyed shooting without seeing some positive results on the scoreboard and this applies to someone who has definite strong eye dominance in their on shoulder eye.
  3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I read that less than 10% of all trapshooters shoot with two eyes open. May or may not be true, but I do recall reading that in maybe, Trap & Field some years ago.

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Florida / Idaho
    I shot for 40 years one eye switched to 2 eyes and broke higher scores since than I ever shot with 1 eye both 16's and handicap. I am not a 95+ shooter but more dangerous now than ever and will be 71 this summer. I also find it less work or easier just to mount focus and shoot as I see the bird sooner with better depth perception and find myself shooting the birds closer to the house comfortably than I ever could with one eye.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.