1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll, Favorite target color

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by james huffington, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

I'm trying to determine the general consensious of favorite colors of targets on clear bright sunny days, cloudy days and night shooting. what are your favorites ? thanks and good shooting.

2. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

New York style, orange with a black edge.

3. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

BLACK..BLACK..BLACK

4. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

At our club we have a full tree background we use an all orange target!! works great in all lighting!!! At a club with skyline orange with a black ring works well.

5. chessney

chessney TS Member

At our skeet club, we use pink with a black band...Ziggy

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

round with a dome!

what has color got to do with anything?

Al

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

New York Style!

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

orange dome for days under most conditions and places I shoot. At some clubs with good lighting they aren't to bad either. Otherwise white for night.

9. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

white flyer orange and white for the beer bird

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

It depends on the background. The best color is the one that shows the greatest contrast between the background and the target. Against a dark tree background, solid orange or surprisingly, solid green is good. Against a sky background, orange with a black rim is my choice.

At many clubs in the South and East, the targets come out against a tree background and then break into a sky background. The color that is best against the trees will not be very good against the sky. These clubs must do the best they can. The NY style orange target is a compromise and is the choice of most of these clubs.

Pat Ireland

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Green for the worst or solid background-yellow dome for everything else. Just kidding on the yellow dome part-most of us old timers would agree!!

12. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Depends on the background, if its sky the NY style are best, if its trees, either all orange or green (Think about this, how can every highway department be wrong since green is the standard color and almost always they are working against a tree/grass background. Studies by people way smarter than me say the green is higher visibility and that is what we need to see the target) If it breaks out of the trees into the sky, the green isn't so good for me, I lose it for a split second when it crosses the skyline, so I prefer orange of some type.

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Orange dome and New York in that order for any club where targets go above the skyline. All green and all orange in that order for all green leaves/needle backgrounds. I've never shot all black, but would like to try it at one club where the sun is in front of you when you shoot. We have lights at our club, so dome and NY targets work great.

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

100after9, Pat Ireland, and balance365 all give the answer that I would give. The color depends on the background. At night, whether or not the club has lighting, and IF the lighting is adequate and points toward the target presentation area, is more important for me than is the color of the target.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Being a "sensitive, new age guy"...I like Mauve....

Curt

17. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Lime Green by Day, White at Night.

Gunnerx

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Orange daytime, white at night

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

All orange with tree background, Black rim, orangedome in a clear sky. All orange at night if the lights are decent. (easier to see in the snow)

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Orange, I hate green targets, anytime, any place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.