1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

politics and my Dad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is something that isnt voiced much by my DAD. Here goes I will try to repeat what he said. Yeah know son, you have a different problem with liberals today than I did. When I was your age 40+ years ago. A liberal was a whinning little pot head that wanted everyone to be open minded and except all points of view. To be left alone to do what ever you want. Todays liberal, wants you to do what they think is the right way and their point of view is. Then he asked me to get the dictionary. OK I did not feel like copying out of the dictionary so I found this I would like to say #4 is a key part. I have yet to meat a liberal that I like.
    Sponsored Links Liberal
    Travel Guides Photos & Reviews Liberal
    www.Travel.Yahoo.com
    9 dictionary results for: liberal
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
    lib·er·al /?l?b?r?l, ?l?br?l/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
    2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
    3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
    4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
    5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
    6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
    7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
    8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
    9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
    10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
    11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
    12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
    13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.
    –noun 14. a person of liberal principles or views, esp. in politics or religion.
    15. (often initial capital letter) a member of a liberal party in politics, esp. of the Liberal party in Great Britain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1325–75; ME < L l?ber?lis of freedom, befitting the free, equiv. to l?ber free + -?lis -al1]

—Related forms
    lib·er·al·ly, adverb
    lib·er·al·ness, noun

—Synonyms 1. progressive. 7. broad-minded, unprejudiced. 9. beneficent, charitable, openhanded, munificent, unstinting, lavish. See generous. 10. See ample.
    —Antonyms 1. reactionary. 8. intolerant. 9, 10. niggardly.
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    Sponsored Links Liberal
    www.Travel.Yahoo.com
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
    Lib·er·al /?l?b?r?l, ?l?br?l/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun a city in SW Kansas. 14,911.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This lib·er·al (l?b'?r-?l, l?b'r?l) Pronunciation Key
    adj.

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
    Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
    Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
    Archaic Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
    Obsolete Morally unrestrained; licentious.

Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
    Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
    Archaic Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
    Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
    Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.

n.
    A person with liberal ideas or opinions.
    Liberal A member of a Liberal political party.

[Middle English, generous, from Old French, from Latin l?ber?lis, from l?ber, free; see leudh- in Indo-European roots.]

lib'er·al·ly adv., lib'er·al·ness n.

Synonyms: These adjectives mean willing or marked by a willingness to give unstintingly: a liberal backer of the arts; a bounteous feast; bountiful compliments; a freehanded host; a generous donation; a handsome offer; a munificent gift; fond and openhanded grandparents. See Also Synonyms at broad-minded.
    Antonym: stingy

(Download Now or Buy the Book)
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    liberal (adj.)

c.1375, from O.Fr. liberal "befitting free men, noble, generous," from L. liberalis "noble, generous," lit. "pertaining to a free man," from liber "free," from PIE base *leudheros (cf. Gk. eleutheros "free"), probably originally "belonging to the people" (though the precise semantic development is obscure), from *leudho- "people" (cf. O.C.S. ljudu, Lith. liaudis, O.E. leod, Ger. Leute "nation, people"). Earliest reference in Eng. is to the liberal arts (L. artes liberales; see art (n.)), the seven attainments directed to intellectual enlargement, not immediate practical purpose, and thus deemed worthy of a free man (the word in this sense was opposed to servile or mechanical). Sense of "free in bestowing" is from 1387. With a meaning "free from restraint in speech or action" (1490) liberal was used 16c.-17c. as a term of reproach. It revived in a positive sense in the Enlightenment, with a meaning "free from prejudice, tolerant," which emerged 1776-88. Purely in ref. to political opinion, "tending in favor of freedom and democracy" it dates from c.1801, from Fr. libéral, originally applied in Eng. by its opponents (often in Fr. form and with suggestions of foreign lawlessness) to the party favorable to individual political freedoms. But also (especially in U.S. politics) tending to mean "favorable to government action to effect social change," which seems at times to draw more from the religious sense of "free from prejudice in favor of traditional opinions and established institutions" (and thus open to new ideas and plans of reform), which dates from 1823.
    "Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others." [Ambrose Bierce, "Devil's Dictionary," 1911]
    The noun meaning "member of the Liberal party of Great Britain" is from 1820. Liberalism is first attested 1819.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This liberal

adjective
    1. showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions" [syn: broad]
    2. having political or social views favoring reform and progress
    3. tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition [ant: conservative]
    4. given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather" [syn: big]
    5. not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem" [syn: free]

noun
    1. a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties [ant: conservative]
    2. a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition - Cite This Source - Share This
    liberal

A descriptive term for persons, policies, and beliefs associated with liberalism.

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
    Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    U.S. Gazetteer - Cite This Source - Share This
    Liberal, KS (city, FIPS 39825) Location: 37.04472 N, 100.93553 W
    Population (1990): 16573 (6663 housing units)
    Area: 24.6 sq km (land), 0.0 sq km (water)
    Zip code(s): 67901

Liberal, MO (city, FIPS 41906) Location: 37.55878 N, 94.51598 W
    Population (1990): 684 (339 housing units)
    Area: 2.1 sq km (land), 0.0 sq km (water)
    Zip code(s): 64762

U.S. Gazetteer, U.S. Census Bureau
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    Liberal

Lib"er*al\ (l[i^]b"[~e]r*al), a. [F. lib['e]ral, L. liberalis, from liber free; perh. akin to libet, lubet, it pleases, E. lief. Cf. Deliver.]

1. Free by birth; hence, befitting a freeman or gentleman; refined; noble; independent; free; not servile or mean; as, a liberal ancestry; a liberal spirit; liberal arts or studies. " Liberal education." --Macaulay. " A liberal tongue." --Shak.

2. Bestowing in a large and noble way, as a freeman; generous; bounteous; open-handed; as, a liberal giver. " Liberal of praise." --Bacon.

Infinitely good, and of his good As liberal and free as infinite. --Milton.

3. Bestowed in a large way; hence, more than sufficient; abundant; bountiful; ample; profuse; as, a liberal gift; a liberal discharge of matter or of water.

His wealth doth warrant a liberal dower. --Shak.

4. Not strict or rigorous; not confined or restricted to the literal sense; free; as, a liberal translation of a classic, or a liberal construction of law or of language.

5. Not narrow or contracted in mind; not selfish; enlarged in spirit; catholic.

6. Free to excess; regardless of law or moral restraint; licentious. " Most like a liberal villain." --Shak.

7. Not bound by orthodox tenets or established forms in political or religious philosophy; independent in opinion; not conservative; friendly to great freedom in the constitution or administration of government; having tendency toward democratic or republican, as distinguished from monarchical or aristocratic, forms; as, liberal thinkers; liberal Christians; the Liberal party.

I confess I see nothing liberal in this " order of thoughts," as Hobbes elsewhere expresses it. --Hazlitt.

Note: Liberal has of, sometimes with, before the thing bestowed, in before a word signifying action, and to before a person or object on which anything is bestowed; as, to be liberal of praise or censure; liberal with money; liberal in giving; liberal to the poor.

The liberal arts. See under Art.

Liberal education, education that enlarges and disciplines the mind and makes it master of its own powers, irrespective of the particular business or profession one may follow.

Syn: Generous; bountiful; munificent; beneficent; ample; large; profuse; free.

Usage: Liberal, Generous. Liberal is freeborn, and generous is highborn. The former is opposed to the ordinary feelings of a servile state, and implies largeness of spirit in giving, judging, acting, etc. The latter expresses that nobleness of soul which is peculiarly appropriate to those of high rank, -- a spirit that goes out of self, and finds its enjoyment in consulting the feelings and happiness of others. Generosity is measured by the extent of the sacrifices it makes; liberality, by the warmth of feeling which it manifests.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    Liberal

Lib"er*al\, n. One who favors greater freedom in political or religious matters; an opponent of the established systems; a reformer; in English politics, a member of the Liberal party, so called. Cf. Whig.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
    CITE THIS SOURCE|PRINT
    Share This:

Sponsored Links Liberal
    www.Travel.Yahoo.com

About · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use · Link to Us · Report Ad · Contact Us
    Copyright © 2008, Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
    <

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

damm, i sure hope you did a cut-copy-paste on this useless info

bill

3. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Wow - you'd better delete this thread right away. Anyone who actually reads it might come away with the idea that liberals could be pretty good people.

And I'm sure that is NOT your intent.

On the other hand, you can probably leave it up - very few folks here will read all the way through it.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yeah I did , but as always More than I wanted came up. Still do not yet fully understand why more than selected parts are pasted????? I do not see it as Useless. The liberals out there are not liberal. I am not free to worship my god of choice clinging to my gun. As said by Obama himself.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

singleshot my intent.......THEY ARE NOT WHAT LIBERAL IS. Sorry for me Liberals are anything but.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

But Mac's point is a good one...by the classic definition of "liberal," modern ones ain't. I get the idea it used to be sort of synonymous with Libertarian, live and let live...but that was before the a-holes got a moneyed interest in re-engineering the social contract, and telling everybody how to live their life.

Liberals of today are the _true_ jack-booted authoritarian thugs, no doubt about it.

And, furthermore, if you're voting Democrat, you're one of 'em, if you ask me.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I was a Democrat and a Liberal.

Till the far left America hating wackos hijacked the movement and bullied and intimidated all within to espouse their viewpoint.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.