1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Polishing Stainless steel ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosedowner, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosedowner

goosedowner TS Member

I have a SS BT-100 and I would like to polish it up some. I don't want to make it all bright and shinny but I would like to buff out the small scratches and make it look good again.
    Any suggestions on what to use??
  2. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

Have you ever used or considered FLITZ metal polish? It is slightly abrasive and removes dirt and oxidation.

Ed Ward
  3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Use Scotch-Brite abrasive pads like machine shops use. Good hardware and woodworking stores sell them too. Coarse, then medium, then fine. Wipe off the metal dust between grits.

-Gary
  4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Active Member

I second the Flitz. Stuff works great on an engraved Krieghoff receiver.

Kevin
  5. goosedowner

goosedowner TS Member

I tried FLITZ a few years ago and it didn't seem to work but I was polishing with it by hand. I may try it again but this time I'll use my dremel.
  6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

to blend the scratches...use the Flitz or Simichrome on a piece of 0000 steel wool and just go with the "grain" if its a brushed muted finish...worked awesome on my 99 Stainless
  7. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Flitz might well do the job for you, but depending on the "original" finish you may wind up with a brightly polished surface. If that's what you want, great. Try a little on the underneath side as a test area. Another thing to consider is getting your hands on some Micro-Mesh. It is available in many formats, but you might look at the 2" square cushioned pads. Comes in grits from 1500 to 12,000. I have used it extensively for things like polishing fine woodturnings, and reconditioning brass, copper and stainless steel. Used properly, you will not find any scratch marks on your metal using this stuff. I would be very leery of ScotchBrite pads. Those are pretty abrasive, and would no doubt leave marks on your baby.
  8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

just an FYI..on flat surfaces where you REALLY want the finish consistant..those fingernail buff sticks in varying grits work awesome...I've used them after filling a chip in a glossy stock finish like Brownings..tape up close to the fill and buff it to blend..pert near invisible
  9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

the white scotch-brite pads are what you need...
  10. b12

b12 Active Member

What G22 said. The scotchbrite pads will work the easiest and best if your not experience metal finisher. I have been a metal finisher for Medical Device companies all my life and if you are doing this yourself then stick with the scotch brite pads. Wild Bill
  11. arend003

arend003 Member

not sure on the scratches bur Never Dull does a great job of just polishing stainless
  12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Pink Pearl pencil erasers work too. Can be obtained in a hard or sort grade fron local blueprint supply house. You can also look to the metal finishing industry. Diemaker abrasives work miracles.

Chuck
  13. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.