1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polishing shotgun barrels?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Do any of you polish the ID of your barrels? I just read on another site how by polishing your barrel you will greatly increase how many pellets are in your pattern.. Never heard of this before..thanks!

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As with many things, the proof is in the proof. I can't imagine polishing can hurt anything, but I'd like to see someone put it on paper and prove it does anything other than put money in the pocket of the guy doing the polishing.

So many of these claims are just that...claims. No proof. Playing on trapshooters' belief that they can buy themselves a target if they spend enough money on this gimmick or that gimmick.

3. clyslr

clyslr Member

Some of the best shooters in the country don't even clean their guns for thousands of shells. What good would it do to have a polished barrel. But I guess it couldn't hurt!

ClaySlayer (Dennis)

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Using a barrel hone greatly reduces plastic fouling, and makes cleaning easier. I generally hone my barrels, and also choke tubes, using a worn hone.

The proper barrel hone does not affect barrel diameter, but reduces depth of tool marks, which all machined surfaces have. Obviously, I do not use them on chromed bores.

I have noticed my honed barrels and choke tubes do not collect wad fouling.

As far as improving patterns? I have been told by barrel smiths that rougher bores may have tighter patterns than slicker bores. Notice the MAY in the sentence.

5. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I bought a set of barrel hones from Brownells,they really do a great job. John

6. Reinz

Reinz Member

Might give you more speed due to less friction; maybe an extra 5fps, 12, 25, who knows? Unless you chrongraph it before and after.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone remember Neil Winston's thread about polishing a barrel? He took a rougher than a cob barrel and polished it to a mirror finish, no difference, waste of time.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With a mirror bore, less cleaning and easier to do and shoot it longer.

There's a reason a super rough bore patterns pretty good, it slows down the velocity and loses pressure too. I had an old Remington side hammer #9 full choked gun that I won a ton of card shoots with. The bore was pitted so bad I shot several shots from it tied down to a spart tire, first. I then used my best shooting model 12 that I knew shot good patterns and it shot hard. I used the two with the same loads shooting at a coffee can to see which put the most shot in the side. Many cans later, the old Rem barely dented the cans and my model 12 pellets would penetrate through one side? Both put plenty of pellets on the cans but dents versus clean holes means one thing, more velocity hits harder.

Penetration tests were the first practiced competitions with shotguns of old with the front stuffers! I still do a few of those type of comparison tests too. Beside being fun, you'll sometimes scratch your head in wondering why this one will penetrate and that one merely dings the tin, same cans turned 180 degrees?

The higher polished the ID is, the easier it is to keep clean and it changes the metals harmonic vibrations. Compare a few and see for yourself?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lapping shotgun barrels

polished shotgun

polishing a shotgun barrel
polishing shotgun barrel
polishing shotgun barrels
polishing your shotgun barrel
shotgun barrel polish

shotgun barrel polisher