1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polishing reclaimed shot???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sharktown, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharktown

sharktown Member

I have about 800lbs of reclaimed shot that I mined from my club so far. I have sifted it to get the most dirt out of it then vacumed it four to six times in 25lb batches. Then the shot was washed, again in 25lb batches. Once dried it was vacumed one last time which gets it super clean.

I'm now ready to graphite it in a tumbler but want to know what is the best way to polish the shot before I graphite it?

Guy

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

just put it in the tumbler with the graphite, it will look polished after it tumbles for awhile.

tony

3. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Guy,

We recently went through #3,000 of reclaimed shot. I rented a cement mixer that cost $40 for a weekend and went to work. We would let it tumble for about 5-10 minutes after the graphite was added........in aprox. #100 batches. It worked like a dream. It took 4 guys about 5 hours including grub and whiskey. That includes weighing and bagging and getting it put away.

We didn't wash it but instead used an airhose to blow out the fines as it tumbled. The tumbling action also took care of a good portion of the oxidation.

Before that I tried a #25 batch in my brass tumbler and that worked fine. If you are a one man show that might be the route to go.

Darryl

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i re drop it ,the problem i found was no matter how many times you wash,blow,or sweep you still have alot of dirt left to run through your reloader.if you dont think so, after you are done cleaning,melt 25 lbs to see how mutch dirt you missed.i have found after re melting and getting it clean& into ingots it runs through my stewart black max as well if not better than wheelweights.i have several shooters that bring me their reclaimed shot because they couldnt get it clean enough,i work on a 60/40return(after getting the lead clean,100 lbs will render 10-15lbs of dirt) and will pay return shipping,so if anyone wants nice clean shot that looks like black chrome,let me know,mark

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Please wear a true respirator when cleaning and polishing. Bad stuff.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Not necessarily Terry. Some "miners" deliver a finished product that is 40% dirt and rock. that has monetary consequences. PM me for a list of firms delivering 98+% clean reclaimed shot.

7. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

The guy who reclaimed our shot said it needed to be 99% fine or the smelter wasn't interested. The shot that was saved for shooting came from the "sweet spot" on the best two fields. It was nice stuff. It was clean.

Darryl

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Once the shot is clean.. Put it in a tumble.. cement mixer..vibratory cleaner.. with some graphite and a few squirts of tri-flo.. The shot comes out very polished..the graphite sticks to the lead better.. and it loads flawlessly.. After Katrina I did this to about 1000 pounds of lead I got flooded Katrina shells.. Worked perfectly.. At the very least..try 1 batch like this.. I think you'll agree.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cleaning and polishing lead shotgun shot

cleaning reclaimed lead shot

do you have to clean reclaimed shot
how to make reclaimed shot black
how to polish reclaimed light shot
polishing lead shot

reclaimed lead shots

tumbling reclaimed lead shot