1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polishing Lead Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by J. Slimmstone, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. Slimmstone

J. Slimmstone Member

I have about a ton of old "Lawrence" lead that has oxidized in the bags. Can you suggest a way to clean this oxidation off. I am going to try a cement mixer to see if it will come off in there. Please help.
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I would put "some" dry graphite in there also with the shot. My "guess" that should work for you sir. Scott

3. nudge

nudge Member

Put 25 lbs in the cement mixer along with some powdered graphite. A large table spoon worth should be enough. You can get the graphite from a John Deere dealer, it comes in a large bottle and will last forever.

Brian

4. J. Slimmstone

J. Slimmstone Member

Thank you very much

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The graphite won't do anything to remove the oxidation. You need to remove the oxidation before you put in the graphite. Let us know if the mixer removes the oxidation and how long you let it run. If the mixer alone doesn't remove it I would pour in some muriatic acid and water, then run it in that for a while.

6. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I used an old large disposable bath towel in the mixer first, ran it a while and then put in another for about 15 minutes. Cleaned it very well and then used the graphite.

USE CAUTION to not breath the dust to say the least their will be a lot of it.

Do it with a towel and NO water. A lot less of a mess and cleans it just as well.

CM

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Run the mixer dry with the oxidized shot. When done flush the polished shot with water and let dry. then apply graphite to the dry shot, one teaspoon of graphite per 100 lbs of shot. Mix well before using shot.

Try the above method with a small quantity of shot in the begining, until you get the desired results. HMB

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

How about just plain soap and water..Then rinse, dry and graphite ????

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Why the two threads on same subject?

10. plinker611

plinker611 Member

the only problem with the mixer will be the toxic dust it will make,,,use protection if you go that route.....i would clean(wash shot),dry,
    and then tumble first.

there are several ways to get the oxidization off(seen them here on t.s.) but im not shure of what they are,and my experince is with tumbling my homemade shot.i run a small harbor freight 1&1/4 cement mixer,and can run 100-150 lbs at a shot.1/4 teaspoon of graphite per run. .thats after the cement mixer has been "seasond" with graphite.mark

11. psfive

psfive Member

Use some solvent in the mixer with the shot, run it long enough and the oxidation will go away. The solvent will also assure no dust. Drain off as much solvent as possible. Add some old towels to absorb the remaining solvent and wet oxidation dust. This will allow the oxidation dust to be removed and washed out. The solvent can be reused by allowing the oxidation to settle. Then add the graphite. Make sure to run each step long enough to get the desired result. I saw it done this way at a plant where they deal with stuff like this. Paul in GINebraska.

12. J. Slimmstone

J. Slimmstone Member

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

13. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Let me suggest a word of caution as far as using ANY solvent. If all solvent isn't removed before putting it into your reloader, that's a problem. I had the shot tube shatter on a RCBS reloader. Don't know how to post pix on here but can send a photo via of email.

14. psfive

psfive Member

Shootrman

What happened to the shot tube? How was the solvent involved in the shattered shot tube? The solvent is used to keep the lead dust from the oxidation completely down to zero. The shot was totally dry when removed from rolling with the towels. I suppose a very very small amount could remain. My email is above I would like to see the shot tube. Thanks Paul in GINebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
coat lead shot with graphite and drill mixer
graphite for lead shot
how much graffite for lead shot
how to clean oxidized lead shot
how to coat lead shot with graphite

how to graphite lead shot

how to regraphite lead shot
polishing lead shot