1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

polishing chamber area

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Snooky, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Snooky

Snooky Member

Has anyone here tried polishing small gauge tube chamber area ( Briley, chambermate, Rhino etc) to shoot off brand shells. I have done it on my Remington 870 barrel with some success using 3/0 and 4/0 steel wool. Just wondering if the wall area is to thin and would cause cracking.

Fairly certain manufactures would say no but they would also say no to the 870 polishing. Just curious if anyone here has done it and the outcome.

Thanks,
    Snooky

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try putting a little paste wax in the chamber and buffing it with a chamber mop. It will act as a release agent. HMB

Gary Waalkes thanked this.
  3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You could try using wet/dry paper in the 800 grit. This is what body shops use when they wet sand car finishes. use it with oil. Wrap a piece around a wood dowel. leaves a nice smooth finish.

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Maybe an old wool cleaning swab with extra fine polishing compound (Body Shop), chucked up in a cordless drill.

I was really surprised when I decided to do a real good cleaning on the chamber end of a barrel, and found a huge deposit of GUNK built up.

It was not visible to my eye, but it was there.

A good soaking with Gunzilla and some 0000 steel wool on a old cleaning brush finally removed it.

Good Luck

Gary Waalkes thanked this.
  5. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit Member

My 682 will no longer eject anything with a steel base. Will polishing cure this?

6. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Seems like a poor choice to void any warranty on the tubes just to be able to shoot cheap, crappy ammo. Along with voiding any manufacturers warranty service the end result may not even solve the perceived problem. This is a case of a lot more to lose than to gain idea.

7. Snooky

Snooky Member

Not all of it is cheap crappy ammo. Thanks for your input. Just wondering if anyone had ever polished the area and the results.

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Jeff B. - If you have an un-altered 682, there is no way those ejectors are going fail to eject (unless there is something broken). However, many 682s have had their ejector springs shortened to lengthen the life of the ejectors. Cleaning a gun is good, fooling around with sandpaper in your chamber is really, really bad.

9. Apex

Apex Member

I've done this with my 870s for years, especially my field guns, there's some steel shotshells that get very hard to eject when you get a little gunk buildup

Cowboy Rick thanked this.
  10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've done it any number of times. I put a couple of patches on a 20-bore brush and scrounge up some Brownells stock-polishing paste, say 3F. It is amazing how much stuff that you could never see (but you can feel and it feels crummy to me) comes out, but 10 minutes with a cordless 3/8 drill motor and it's like a mirror. With a 20 brush you can shine the forcing cone too and just looking down it makes it all worth it. I wash it in hot water in the kitchen sink, spray it off with some lube or other, and I'm good for another year at least! The only thing I'm super-careful of is leaving any paste in the bearing area or anywhere. It's easy. A cheap paint brush, diluted dish soap, hot water, oil in that order.

Neil

Because Frenchy knew I liked to pattern, he said

"I've been told that after I clean one of these barrels with my Free-gun ® bore cleaner it shoots like a rifle for the first shot. Can you tell me if that's true Neil?"

I did. Sometimes it is near the tight-end of ten shots, sometimes not. But I clean the bores before I embark on my fall patterning program and fire a couple of so-called fouling shots just in case it makes a difference. What's two shots?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  11. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

the problem with chambers and choke tubes is that they are round and are machined that way. grab a loupe and look closely at one ,there are concentric rings from the machining process . what you need a lateral machining marks that go length wise not side ways. I just polished a set of beretta choke tubes for a friend, the original finish was terrible . after flex honing them to get the nasty tool marks out of them( as best as I could). I polish them by hand to get lengthwise finish that goes from front to back. chambers are the same way, some older guns ,the chambers look like they were threaded. I wouldent hesitate to polish a nasty lookin chamber

12. Gene58

Gene58 Member

I can't think a little polishing would hurt anything not like cutting with a file.And don't use sandpaper steel wool should do it.

13. rwtii

rwtii Member

Brass wool!!!! Not sand paper or grit harder than the bbl. The English used to hone barrels clean up the bores. Eventually causes catastrophic failure.

14. fljohn1

fljohn1 Member

Let a gunsmith check it out. I'll bet he has an easy fix without making things worse.

15. Snooky

Snooky Member

Appreciate all the response but I am not talking about the barrels themselves but the small gauge tubes. I was wondering if anyone had polished the chamber inserts themselves. I personally did it on an 870 barrel and it definitely helped but realize there is much more metal on a barrel than a chamber insert.

Just a pain and definitely an added expense due to the cost of AA and STS small gauge shells. I do not reload and don't want to get into the hassle of selling empties.

Thanks and sorry for any confusion.
    Snooky

16. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

clover lapping compound is what i use it comes in different grits. saturate a brass chamber brush and spin in lathe or electric drill. 0 or 00 works great for me thnks howard ps. do you shoot in il if so i think i shot with you and hubby

17. SAL328

SAL328 TS Member

I had to polish my 20gage tube chambers because the cheap shells wouldn't eject. I could see a ring where the steel of the base of the shell were catching. I used a fine scotch brite pad and polishing compound afterwards. Haven't had a problem since doing it.