1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polishing a Receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C Prince, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Say I want to polish the receiver of a 90T because the bluing is pretty much worn off. What is recomended to seal the metal after polishing? I eventually plan to have it cerokoted.

Chad

2. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm working on a Remington 1100. The bluing is off and I've shined it with buffing compound. Someone suggested I apply paste wax or one of the clear coatings from Brownlells (they even have one that is baked after application). I think the wax would be easier to remove when you decide to have the coating done. I like the "in the white" look so I'll probably spray on a protective finish.

Larry

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The objective is to simply seal the bare metal with some non-corrosive protective coating...I used paste wax and was very careful to make sure the receiver continued to have the protective coating after use. The "in the white" look is nice (and inexpensive to create), but like anything else, it is in the eye of the beholder. Best Regards, Ed

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If your plan is to polish it, the have it coat in the near future, don't waste your time polishing. Leave it as it is. When you sent it for coating, they're going to sand-blast your nice polished receiver prior to the coating.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have been polishing my Perazzi MX guns for several years. I simply polish the metal with a good buffing compound in various grits until the luster I'm after is achieved and, when done, simply spray a soft cloth with Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish an wipe the entire gun down, metal, wood, and all. I currently have 2 years on my MX3 Special polishing and have never had any problems of any kind with it. Looks as good today as the day I did it..... Not a big deal... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

no question the best metal polishing system I've ever used. The sealants do a great job of protecting the metal without giving a dull look or yellowed. Little will last you a long time. HJH

7. ismah

ismah Member

Chad, Be careful you don't buff the bluing right off the receiver. A light buffing is all you need unless you want to take it right down to the bare metal.

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Chad, Please listen to GunDr & Dan, I Have polished out (7) Trap Guns (5) Brownings And (1) 90T & (1) 1100 . I have sprayed a couple with Mini-Wax (Helmsman) Spar ureathane(spelling) But Now I just Keep Them Clean with a Light Oil (B&C) Barricade. OH Yea Be Ready to Price Your 90T when Your Buddy's See It Polished out. joe90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

polishing receiver

receiver polishing