1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

polish stock ? help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IMAGE-RANCH, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

i swear after i own a gun for 3 to 10 days the gun is all skinned up? is there a wax or something people used to hide the scratches and im rubbing it off? i know on the 2 times this has happen . i didnt put all these lite scuffs and scratches on the wood work? any ideas

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Automotive polishing compound works great on removing
    light scratches . Don't use rubbing compound. It's to
    aggressive. Use a damp cloth wrapped around a flat
    eraser. Rub in one direction only.

3. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

want to try something different???? i had some lite scraches on the top of my driver and i wanted to remove them....i know that you can get some dry rubbing compound on your rag which will leave scrathes....so i tried headlight polishing compound....it came out looking like new.....the compound is so fine that you will have to work at it....it's not quick...but it works....put just a little on your cloth...use a fine terry material...and keep rubbing EVEN after it has dried out on the rag...this dry material really polishes the best..give it a try...

4. andybull

andybull Active Member

If you have very light scratches you can remove them, polish with toothpaste that contains whiteners. Automotive waxes that claim to bring back the shine will also contain polishing compound as well as wax.

Andy

5. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

I opened this thinking I would see a nice gun stock from POLAND...sorry !!!!

6. xb40

xb40 Member

Man, a guy don't stand a chance around here! However that is funny.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the stock is "all skinned up" every 3 to 10 days why bother with it. The dent demons will just bugger it up again in 3 to 10 days. Eventually you will rub through the finish with polishing compound. Consider the scratches character marks and battle scars, show em with pride.

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Belt buckles, metal buttons, and metal rivets on levi's are bad about giving scratches. do all to keep gun awayfrom your body when it's not against your shoulder. lots of luck

Bob

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try some 'FLITZ" polish. Available through Brownell's or Midway. Will put a mirror shine on finished wood and remove small scratches.

Bob

10. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

thanks guys all these ideas sound good ..i have some tooth paste and i think i have that scratch remover lol ill try them all .. i got a few dents but every 3 to 5 days!!!!! i have only been shooting trap for a month i might be holding it close i tryed off my second gun to take better care of it but wow i need a different type of wood lol ?

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Meguiars (the car polish people) make something named "ScratchX 2.0" that's intended to remove fine scratches and swirl marks in paint. It's great for polishing hard finishes on gun stocks. Most auto parts stores carry it: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.