1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polish for polyurethane stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

Any recommendations for a wax of some kind to put on a high gloss polyurethane stock?

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Are you wanting to protect it or recover it's gloss?

Wax is softer than poly so it's no help with protection. Poly really doesn't need protection.

If you want to add a temporary top gloss, Carnuba (Collinite Fleet Wax) works well. Avoid silicone and other high tech auto polishes; they will contaminate the finish and make refinishing a nightmare. Wax is just temporary. Use a paste wax. Liquids are mostly solvents and the heat generated by applying a paste helps to set the wax.

If you want to recover the shine on an oil based poly that's at least 6 months old (fully cured), try either 3M's MicroFinishing Compound or 3M's Finesse-It II. Both can be applied with a lamb's wool buffer. Proceed gently if you've never polished poly before. Poly does not polish willingly and is easy to overheat.
    Mike

3. Franktri

Franktri Member

Before your answer to me, I went out and bought some furniture polish by Johnson & Johnson. Will this do the job or can I do damage?

4. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

If you're talking about plain ol' Johnson's paste wax, it will be fine. It's not exceedingly durable, but it will add shine without damaging anything. Minwax would be another good candidate.

--Dan

5. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

If you're really talking about polish, all you have is a little oil, scent and solvent. It won't hurt the urethane or the wood as long as the wood is completely sealed. It isn't very durable as Dan said, and being an oil it can make the pistol grip and fore stock a bit slippery and prone to attracting airborne dirt.

I prefer a hard wax like Fleet (or Johnson's, Butcher's or Trewax) myself. Stay clear of the soft waxes that feel like mayonnaise.

Mike

6. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

McGuire's Final Glaze and a Waxmaster buffer will make it shine. No danger of burning either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.