1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Police Push for .50 Caliber Rifle Ban

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Yosemite Sam, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

Police Push for .50 Caliber Rifle Ban
    By Tannya Joaquin

Honolulu Police hope to revive a House Bill that would ban .50 caliber rifles capable of shooting down a plane.

Right now, anyone over 18 without a criminal record can buy one, but police say that right to bear arms is a threat to public safety.

At Koko Head Shooting range, you'll see and hear many different firearms, but not a 50-caliber rifle.

Police say it's a sniper rifle that has no business in civilian hands, with a range of several miles and big bullet the diameter of a penny that can penetrate anything.

"There's nothing we have that can withstand this" says HPD Major Greg Lefcourt. "If you look at an armored car. Those things have half inch of steel. These weapons will go through one inch of steel at a thousand yards."

The weapons have been glorified in movies like "Rambo."

Police fear in the wrong hands, they could be a terrorist threat.

According to Major Lefcourt, "This rifle could actually take a plane out of the air."

"For the stated reasons, it does concern us" says Deputy Adjutant General Gary Ishikawa. "Shooting down airplanes. 4 miles distances."

Max Cooper testified against the House Bill.

He is one of 125 in the State, with a registered 50 caliber rifle, purchased for 3-thousand dollars.

"I showed pictures of my 14 year old grandson firing them on a private range here and the state's building ranges for these so there are plenty of sports uses for these firearms" says Cooper.

Cooper says they can be used for hunting.

Rifle enthusiast Ian Ross calls that overkill.

"People that hunt wouldn't shoot a 50 cal at an animal. You don't need something that big to go hunting with. They're more sports-oriented."

According to a Koko Head range employee, 50-caliber rifles were banned here years ago after an errant bullet hit a house.

"The military came out to train with it and this range is not set up with the military so the solution was to prevent anyone from having it out here" says Cooper.

The Bill would also require safety weapons on firearms.

It's stalled in the House Judiciary Committee.

Police ask anyone who supports the ban to contact the Judicary Committee.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "The Bill would also require safety weapons on firearms."<br>
    <br>
    Uh, what's a safety weapon on a firearm?<br>
    <br>
    The simple fact is - no one has shot down a plane with a semi-automatic or bolt action .50 caliber rifle. Planes have been shot down, in war, with .50 caliber MACHINEGUNS, but even then it's difficult and requires proper training, with live fire at aerial targets as part of the training.<br>
    <br>
    Politicians and others who think planes are threatened by .50 caliber rifles are asshats. They simply do not know what they're talking about, they're incompetent, and they should be voted out of office.<br>
    <br>
    Worse, some of these bills outlaw ALL .50 caliber firearms. African hunting rifles in .50 cal, old west blackpowder rifles - including lever actions - in .50 cal, British hunting rifles in .50 cal, they're all threatened even though the cartridges are not the same as the .50 BMG that's being targeted.<br>
    <br>
    The anti's have prven they will lie about any firearm and given any opportunity to ban a gun, they will do so.

3. Brian in Oregon

Oh, and it's not "the police" who are calling for the ban. The vast majority of rank and file police officers support the Second Amendment. The "police" calling for the bans are politically connected anti-gun politicians, like Chiefs of Police, who know they need to lick the hands of their liberal masters to get funding.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yaaaak!

So much BS!

1. They're ridiculously expensive, and criminals don't want to pay $3,000+ for a gun.

2. They weigh about 30 pounds. Criminals don't want lug something like that around.

3. They're HIGHLY unlikely to bring down a plane. Can you hit a plane going 100 mph from as far away as they'd need to be to avoid detection? And, even if they hit a plane, it would have to be at very low altitude (which blows the rapid depressurization theory) and a single bullet is highly unlikely to bring down a plane anyway unless by sheer luck it hits the hydraulic system and takes it out (and most airliners have backup hydraulics.)

4. These things are not new, and they've been on the market for years. Exactly how many of them have been used in a crime? Zero. Nichts. Nada, None.

5. Rifle enthusiast Ian Ross is an idiot. "People that hunt wouldn't shoot a 50 cal at an animal." Nonsense. Why not? One shot kill. I bet he'll sing a different tune when they come to ban HIS rifles.

These guys are fretting and wringing their hand over something that is ridiculous.

"The Bill would also require safety weapons on firearms." What the hell does that mean???

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Then we'll just come out with a .49 caliber.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shannon391,

Funny you should mention that, Barrett already has. They call it the .416 Barrett. They claim it is not just a necked-down .50 BMG, but I'll bet its close.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Barrett is having fun with California for ussuing such a ban. They have sent him a couple of rifles for rework, and now he refuses to ship them back...stating that the ban wouuld make it illegal!

8. Brian in Oregon

Good. More manufacturers need to refuse to sell their products to states and localities that ban their products for their citizens.

9. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

"Honolulu Police hope to revive a House Bill that would ban .50 caliber rifles capable of shooting down a plane. Right now, anyone over 18 without a criminal record can buy one, but police say that right to bear arms is a threat to public safety."

My Barrett single shot 50 with a scope weighs 27 pounds. Every time I pick it up to take it to the range I laugh at those who think you could track a plane and shoot it down. Just another instance of those who know nothing fanning the flames to suit their purposes. Too bad most of the citizens buy into their lies without checking the facts.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Would you shoot 7-1/2 or 8 shot in it and which choke is used for plane shooting?

I wonder how a 50 cal would pattern for trap?

11. Chip

Chip TS Member

Interesting, capable of hitting a plane at 4 miles is it? Arial gunners and fighter planes equipped with multiple 50 cal machine guns were taught their maximum effective range was 1000 yds which is short of a mile. They also had the advantage in late model WWII fighters of lead computing gunsight. Trying to guess the lead and speed of a passing plane at 20,000 feet with single shot rifle would be impossible and I don't think the round can reach a flying target at 4 miles. My recall is a 50 cal armor piercing will blow through 1/2 inch armor but 1 inch may be sufficient to stop it depending on range. There are lot of inflated "fear" factors being used here.

12. oz

oz Active Member

wait till they find out about the new .416...shoots father than the .50. oz

13. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Honolulu Police have a heckuva lot of nerve to push for a ban on any rifle caliber after all the airplanes, helicopters, and boats that Jack Lord shot and blew up over the years with just a snubnosed .38.

(I am of course referring to "Hawaii 5-O.")

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I think those downed planes got tangled in Jacks hair. LOL

Back in the early 80's I saw a converted WW2 anti-tank rifle that shot a 20mm necked down to 50. Can't remember what they called it but it was wickedly loud and very hard on anything downrange. I declined an invitation to shoot it.

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

heck , i hunt squirrels with a 50 cal. just shoot the tree out from under the squirrel . No, blood or guts than. lol

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

anyone measured a penny lately? 3/4 inch. 75 caliber. somone needs to get the Horse poo.out of the media brain cases.

HM

17. roper

roper TS Member

Nice catch halfmile!!!

ROPA

18. Brian in Oregon

Those must be the new recession pennies.

19. IM390

IM390 Member

Let's see now I've been told I can shoot down a plane with my .22 if I know where to hit it. And as I recall I can shoot pretty darn far with full metal jacket 30.06 Does that mean I'm a potential terrorist too?

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Anybody who beleives in that "shooting down a lane" crap, must beleive Elvis is still alive! You would stand a better chance of dropping an Elephant with a .22 short! Dumb butt politicans say stuff like that to impress stupid left wing whackos. Anybody with half a brain knows it pure bull!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.