1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Police at Sparta

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr. Professional, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

Anyone elses comments on all the cops at Sparta? A little too much?

2. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

I thought the number of police officers at the 2006 Grand was a little overkill, but they didn't know what to expect. And a lot of the police officers you talk to would agree. But the number of police officers at the 2007 Grand, in my opinion, wasn't out of line. I can remember problems in Vandalia with cars being broken into and guns being stolen. I much prefer to see a few too many cops than to see cars and trailers being broken into. I think the cops at Sparta have done a pretty good job so far.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Drew ... you might think the state is paying for it but I would bet that actual cost if already figured into what the ATA must pay to use Sparta for the event so all those who attend are the ones who are actually paying for the cops not the state.

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I will go with Ray on this one as far as police. I felt comfortable and/or secure this year, but "homeland security" is more needed at the border/shores/airports etc.......merlyn........

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have attended both of the Sparta "Grands". It was great to have the law enforcers there. I don't believe that there were any "Sparta" police but rather both Illinois State police and Illinois Conservation officers. They wore similar but different uniforms but, all that I talked with, were very helpful, cheerful, and friendly. I attended over 35 Grands in Vandalia and can't remember a year that there wasn't at least one car or vendor broken into with no arrests or retrieval of guns. As far as I am aware, only one such event happened over the past two years and the perpetrator was promptly apprehended.

Ed Yanchok

6. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

I agree with Drew it's not being done on your nickel so the more coverage the better.The only people who should be intimidated by their presence are the the wrong-doers. Also by them being there and getting to check out the sport you may end up getting some new shooters coming in and they will bring others with them.I think anytime you can get spectators that get to see a shooting event taking place its a good chance to raise some interest and possibly bring in some new people to the shooting sports,and we all know we need that.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

The serval police that I spoke with were very friendly and they were having fun shopping at various vendors. They were hunters or clay shooters and one was buying stuff for his kid and his wife. Glad they were there Motordoc

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Lumper you got your head you know where again.

Don

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I went to the Grand at Sparta in 06' and 07'. In 06' I talked to a State Police sargent who was having ear plugs made and he said they truly didn't know what to expect the first year so they based their manpower presence on the Illinois State Fair and expected the same type problems they experienced at that event. He explained that none of them had ever been to a trap shoot. He went on to say that they were pleasantly surprised to find what a nice group of folks trap shooters turned out to be. (No fights, no drunks and one thief who wasn't even a trap shooter) I,in turn, told him that for the most part all of us were happy to see the police presence and were looking forward to a safe and secure visit. I did mention that the genuine hospitality we were all received with there in southern Illinois was a little bit of a nice surprise and that we'd certainly be back.
    In 07' it was easy to see that they had scaled back about 50% on manpower. I for one think Sparta will get better with time. All we need now is a little cooler weather.
    Dave in Atlanta

10. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

I too was glad for them, There should always be cops around guns, even at a trap shooting event things can go wrong. It seems everyone else was also in my shoes as well.

11. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Didn't bother me. I didn't see any trouble either..........Roger

12. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

The presence of the police officers during the 2006 Grand had no effect, other than to scare off would be thiefs. They were all very polite.

Lumper I sincerely hope you do not stand up to quickly. From where you head appears to be might result in a broken neck. But alas, have a Merry Christmas.

- Jim

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

oneATAtime, You a cop? Bill

14. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

And your point is......

Ronbo

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Very good post Roger C!

16. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I have to wonder what kind of childhood you have had, and what kind of adult you have become, if having police officers around you causes you discomfort.

17. happy

happy Member

When I talked to a state trooper he told me a interesting fact. One of the highest crime areas in the U.S. is only 50 miles away (east St.Louis). They know who we are, what we do and how much money there is at Sparta during the grand. He told me it was common knowledge in the maximum security prisons around the southern Illinos area. The prisoners know and so do the gangs that are on the outside. Also there is a very high drug problem around Missouri,Kentucky,Tennessee and southern Illinois. Meth and Heroin. This takes cash to support and what better way to get it than steal something from the unatended cars at the grand. Be happy the police are there and hope their presence keeps most the criminals away. I've always said If I was a criminal I would have had the GRAND IN OHIO circled on my calender. Unattended parking lots, guns left alone in racks, pop out triggers and bags of goodies left at the sidewalks. The big issue of the homeland security trailer is ,The police needed a office to meet and plan, and cool down. The trailer is available at the time of the grand so why not use it. I'm sure it cheaper than setting up a command center from scratch. Talk to some of troppers and conservation police, be ambasadors for our sport and explain the game to them. Remember Sparta is nothing more than a state park. Merry Xmas to all and thanks for all support over the years, Norm Gilmoure GOTA HAV IT inc.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

And the prupose of this thread is??????????

Don

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey Don...it's just gonna be a long winter seems to be the purpose!

I do wonder though....do they use 7-1/2's or 8's?

Curt - Delaware

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

In any major event, whether it be at a convention center, sports arena or a public park security is always figured into the cost and the cost is passed onto those paying for the event which in the case of the Grand the cost is passed onto the ATA then in turn pass it on to the shooters.

For those that actually think the taxpayers of the State of Illinois paid for the security at the Grand please post your address so that Santa Claus can arrange to have a free truckload of your favorite shells delivered to your home along with your dream gun to shoot the shells with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.