1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pole/Steel Building Experiences?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I'm looking to put up a garage/shop area in the next year and am looking at either a steel or pole building and wanted to ask if anyone on here had any experience with the larger steel building manufacturers like Morton or Hansen. I have heard that some of the companies will try a hard sell approach under the premise that the steel prices will keep going up the longer you wait.

I also want the building to be pretty airtight to be able to heat in the winter. The floors will have radiant heat from either the gas wells on the farm or a waste oil heater, or both.

The Morton buildings look very nice, and they have a local office just outside of Pittsburgh, PA to deal with, which makes them seem more attractive than dealing with someone hours away that may just send a couple loads of materials for a local contractor to figure out and patch together.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Having worked on a few (and own one) they are difficult to keep from leaking and need to be well insulated if you plan on working in them. They do provide a lot of room for the$$$$$$ and don't require a lot of maintenance. I use mine for storage only. Just my experience. Ross Puls

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I built mine myself with wood trusses 16" oc, with 40 yr. shingles, but It's only 35x45'. I have steel sheathing but don't care for steel roofs.

4. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Find an Amish or Mennonite crew to do it. Bookshelf construction, they know what that is. Cheaper,and the quality is that of a stick built. They just did a 45-72-14 for me in Ky
    You won't look back or regret it. I don't! IMHO Rick gibbs

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Check out Lesters....

They have a plant in Clear Brook, VA so freight would be reasonable for you in PA.

They are the K-Gun of post frame buildings.

www.lesterbuildings.com

SW

6. topgunoh

topgunoh Member

I build an all steel Star Building in 1978,40x64x17, and have not had a single problem. Spray insulated the inside and that sealed it up. The material came on a semi from Indiana, Pa. Only thing out of the ordinary you will need is some way to hoist the steel. My peak is 24' and we used an old cable crane truck, a little slow but got the job done and cheap. They some times have a building that someone did not take and you can buy it by the bay, that's how I got mine. It was a 128' and I bought half of it and added the back wall I wanted, very good price at the time.

Dave Mowry

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My shop is an all steel construction, 30x60.. The posts are bolted to anchors in the re-rodded concrete floor. I pretty much have a floating slap except I dug down 4ft where the posts are located. Between the posts are 2x6s for the walls and 2x10s for the spaces between the steel trusses.I did not want any obstructions so that's why I went with the steel trusses. The walls are 10ft and the height measures 15ft to the open peak.

The walls and ceiling are sprayed with closed cell foam. The slab has 2" of foam board insulation along with plastic sheathing below the concrete. I have in floor hot water heat. I also insulated around the slab with 2" of foam board 15" deep.

What I would change if I were to do it over....I would have added OSB to the roof prior to the metal roofing. This would allow me to remove the steel if it got damaged or I wanted to make changes. The rain is quite quiet as is, but would be much more if I had added the wood.

Another thing is I would add a piece of aluminum all around the foam board on the slab. This would keep the mice from chewing holes through the foam.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the building. My heating bill (electric boiler) runs about $275 per month during Dec, Jan, and Feburary's -30 degree days. All of the walls and ceiling has been sheet rocked.

Doug

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Butler

Pole barns don't even make good barns. The first strong wind that comes along..... and you start over. There is a reason they are frowned upon in the commercial industry. Keep in mind, there ain't much value in any building, that they can build in a week.

Go with Steel and you will never regret it.

9. ouch

ouch Member

In 1989 Morton built me a 54 x 76 building, 1 inch Styrofoam insulation board walls and ceiling. I am very happy with the building. On the brightest day I can walk in, Shut the door and not see one hint of sunlight. Morton uses an assortment of gaskets and seals to keep out the elements.

I had 2 warranty issues. One they replaced the complete roof in 2004. The finish was starting to delaminate on the edges. The second was a seal that rolled under on the overhead door. Both took only 1 phonecall to my salesman to get the job done.

I am very happy with Morton. Richard

10. pullll

pullll Member

If you will have expensive equipment stored or in use in the building then a structural steel building would be my only choice. On the other hand if this is a general purpose building for autos, trucks, shop type equipment then a lesser expensive pole building would suffice.

11. GD1949

GD1949 TS Member

I worked as an auto tech in a steel building for many years. My opinion is that they are only suitable for warehouse use, If you plan to work in them you will have to heavily insulate them. You may as well spend a little extra and stickbuild something that is exactly what you need. To really understand steel building get a copy of The Bridge over the River Kwai and watch the scene where the English Colonel is put in a tin shed in the hot sun. He emerges with his brain fried! The Radiant heat gain through the steel is an inherent flaw! Wood or masonry is worth the extra money in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.