1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polaroid vs Non-polaroid lens

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Go Fish, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I am thinking about getting some Polaroid lens for my shooting glasses and have some questions either or not they are worth the extra costs. I know there have been some discussions in the past but I still have questions.
    Questions are:
    #1 How many shoot only using Polaroid lens?
    #2 How many shoot using Polaroid and non-Polaroid lens?
    #3 If you use both how do you determine which to use?
    #4 Is there a significant difference between the Polaroid/non-Polaroid lens in being able to see the target quicker?
    #5 Is the significant difference in your score between the different lens?
    #6 For the shooters who use Polaroid lens is it worth the extra cost for Polaroid lens?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Ed Fish
    Racine, WI

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Just my 2 pennies. I think they have a very real place in the scheme of things but they are not for every situation. I originally went to a polarized copper lens in my Ranger XLWs for those very bright (snowy) glaring days when the light just seemed to come from everywhere. None of my other non-polarized lenses from either my XLWs or HiDefSpex seemed to work under those condition and the targets were at best a blurred orange streak to my squinted eyes. The polarized copper reduced the glare and enhanced the target to the point that I was able to get on them faster and I was not squinting. Last Saturday against a treeline and with varying light I was able to "distinguish the rings" on a solid orange target using them in place of my dark purple so I think they helped me. When there is more green on the trees and the light is just non glaring/non reflective sunlight I will continue to use my non-polarized purple lenses either light or dark. Under the lights or on very cloudy days it will be my non-polarized pale yellows.

--- Chip King ---

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have both brown and polarized brown for my XLW's. If there is a lot of reflected light from any source I will check them against whatever other color I might use. Sometimes the difference in clarity is striking. I don't shoot ATA so I can't answer your questions directly.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I shot like crap one day under snowblind conditions, and tried a pair of fishing glasses the next time out. Great help, and not to expensive. It doesn't happen often, but they are in my bag all winter.

HM

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

They are a must for me on very sunny days now. If your eyes are bothering you after shooting on some very bright days, I say go for it. I need a Rx and they do run big $'s, but it worth it for me. I have blue eyes and they are very sensitive to too much light. They cut down on glare big time. Break=em all. Jeff

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They limit the way light comes through them. The effect is that they kill a lot of glare from surfaces that glare is reflected from, ie. glass, water. They work very well on glary days and protect your eyes from bright sunlight.

THey only come in gray and can be tinted to your favorite target seeking color. I have them coated in vermillion and blue blocker. THe blue blockers really cut the haze and glare on a hazy day but on cloudy days they nearly hide the target. The vermillion does a great job cutting glare and giving contrast to the target.

I also find that they tend to lessen my acuity some in most conditions. No problem at short yardage but can be at 27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.