Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarized Shooting Lens

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Pat Ireland 
#1 ·
My eyes are very light sensitive so I have used polarized lens in my shooting lens for years. They reduce the glare better and are very relaxing.

Yesterday I talked to a HiDef salesman about a new pair of lens and asked about polarization. He said they were available but they did not recommend them as they refracted in high humidity and made one shoot behind the target. I never heard of this and no other lens manufacturers mentioned this about my past purchases. I noticed that Ranger is now advertising polarized shooting lens. Any opticians or others able to verify problems?

#2 ·
Ke4yyd, I too have to use polorized sunglasses to shoot in the dead of summer as I have blue eyes and have the same problem!!! I have never noticed shooting behind targets with any kind of regularity at all. I think he is trying to talk you out of something to sell you what he has in stock??? But, with that said what do you think about your shooting. Has your scores ave.'s dropped since you started useing them or NOT ??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

#3 ·
It must be awfully tough for anglers who only use polarized lenses in the Keys and Tropics on water and with high humidity...

HiDefSpex are top notch, but I think someone tried to yank your chain with that claim... They couldn't sell what they sell in polarization from Oakley, Smith, Maui Jim, Randolph, etc... if there were problems.

Jay

#5 ·
ke4yyd I would give Wayne Morgan at Morgan optical a call at
1 800 594 0175 on Monday and ask Wayne you're questions he is very good on lenses and colors as he helped me find out what was happening with my eyes he can tell you about the need for polarizing lenses, and if you need a special color he has them also. he also has a coating for anti glare and scratch resistant coating.
Pat.

#7 ·
Polarization is more affective with darker tints. You won't find many clear or light tinted lenses available with the polarization option. Depth perception is negatively affected by darker tinted lenses. Polarization should not affect depth perception, but a dark tint will. Not very many pro golfers wear sunglasses.

#11 ·
I would have questioned the salesman more. First, as light passes from air into any lens, some refraction will take place. The amount or refraction depends on the refractive index of the lens. Polarized lenses block light that strikes them at sharper angles (angle of incidence). They are very good for reducing glare. Polarized lens are not widely used for trap shooting because of the color limitations. I would be interested in knowing if humidity in the air (decreases air density) would influence refraction of light as it passes from the air into the lens.

Pat Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.