1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Polarized Shooting Lens

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ke4yyd, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

My eyes are very light sensitive so I have used polarized lens in my shooting lens for years. They reduce the glare better and are very relaxing.

Yesterday I talked to a HiDef salesman about a new pair of lens and asked about polarization. He said they were available but they did not recommend them as they refracted in high humidity and made one shoot behind the target. I never heard of this and no other lens manufacturers mentioned this about my past purchases. I noticed that Ranger is now advertising polarized shooting lens. Any opticians or others able to verify problems?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ke4yyd, I too have to use polorized sunglasses to shoot in the dead of summer as I have blue eyes and have the same problem!!! I have never noticed shooting behind targets with any kind of regularity at all. I think he is trying to talk you out of something to sell you what he has in stock??? But, with that said what do you think about your shooting. Has your scores ave.'s dropped since you started useing them or NOT ??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It must be awfully tough for anglers who only use polarized lenses in the Keys and Tropics on water and with high humidity...

HiDefSpex are top notch, but I think someone tried to yank your chain with that claim... They couldn't sell what they sell in polarization from Oakley, Smith, Maui Jim, Randolph, etc... if there were problems.

Jay

4. DanLee

DanLee Member

Are depth perception tests performed at the distances of trap targets?

Dan

5. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

ke4yyd I would give Wayne Morgan at Morgan optical a call at
    1 800 594 0175 on Monday and ask Wayne you're questions he is very good on lenses and colors as he helped me find out what was happening with my eyes he can tell you about the need for polarizing lenses, and if you need a special color he has them also. he also has a coating for anti glare and scratch resistant coating.
    Pat.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have the Decot polarized lenses for fishing, driving, etc. I fish the Atlantic Coast to the Keys and I think their (Decot) lenses are great.

I've even shot with them on bright, cloudless days w/o any problems.

Curt

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Polarization is more affective with darker tints. You won't find many clear or light tinted lenses available with the polarization option. Depth perception is negatively affected by darker tinted lenses. Polarization should not affect depth perception, but a dark tint will. Not very many pro golfers wear sunglasses.

8. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

You need to have a look at Dillon's new glasses, they are great!

http://dillonoptics.com/

Cheers,

George

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I am moving this up as I know there are some optical folks that post here occasionally. I would like to hear from them also.

10. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I can get you any HyDefs you want and safe you a little money. Let me know what you want? Mark

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would have questioned the salesman more. First, as light passes from air into any lens, some refraction will take place. The amount or refraction depends on the refractive index of the lens. Polarized lenses block light that strikes them at sharper angles (angle of incidence). They are very good for reducing glare. Polarized lens are not widely used for trap shooting because of the color limitations. I would be interested in knowing if humidity in the air (decreases air density) would influence refraction of light as it passes from the air into the lens.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.