1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pointers on buying off here.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I know its been covered, and I tried to search for the topic.Can some one give me a few pointers on buying off here. Id like to have a smooth deal and not end up with a drama case on my hands? Thanks for input in advance!

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What are looking to buy?

3. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

A O/U or Combo trap gun. Have seen a couple things of interest.Just want to know the logistics side of it.

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It is always good to talk to the person by phone and by e mail. You can pretty much tell when in discussions over the phone how a person is. I have sold and purchased several very expensive items and guns on here without any problems. My last deal was a trade, gun for gun. we sent them off the same day and all went well. I have never met the person face to face but now I consider him a very good friend. Sometimes it isn't always a bad thing doing business over the net.
    Good luck!

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

As I learn from a wrist watch trading forum, "buy the seller". If you don't feel comfortable sending money to a person you have doubts, don't.

Check what's the seller been doing on this forum is a good way to get a feeling of him. For start.

Good luck.

6. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

E-mail and telephone works fine for me when I buy and sell anything on this website and any other. Just make sure you feel comfortable before sending money.

Jack

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have relyed on what I consider a few Experts on here. For Perazzi's, "PerazziBigBore" is/has a wealth of info on these guns and is a top knotch person. "MIA" is another. I'm not to shabby with the Krieghoff questions. Ask questions on the thread or use the PM board. People will help you. Have fun. Dave T.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think this is the "safest" site of its kind for buying and selling items. I've experienced so many good transactions that if I'm the seller, I now ship the item before the funds arrive. Since guns must go through an FFL holder and usually involve larger sums of money, I usually give my dealer the okay to ship when the funds arrive and expect the same if I'm the buyer.

Overall, you won't find a better bunch of people!

Ed

9. peteodie

peteodie Member

I would like to add. I have never had a problem, and have bought a reloader and some hulls and everything went GREAT. But if you ever have a problem with a sale make sure you advertise to everyone the person you should not do business with. This is a good old boy network and "GOOD" is the main consideration Pete g

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

There are guys on here that are dealers and buy and sell every single day. Their prices are always very competitive and you have very little to worry about when doing business with them. You can search and it's pretty easy to spot who they are.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

bjk1972:

Everything posted so far is good but nobody has included much about process details. Here's how I do it.

1. Find out who you're dealing with and develop a comfort level with them.

When it appears a deal is likely, get a full name, address, email and as many phone numbers as relevant - home, cell, work. Provide the other party the same info for you.

At that point, I use the net to look up names and conduct reverse phone and address searches. I confirm they all go back to my buyer/seller. If they don't, it's a big red flag.

You can also check out a person's posting history on ts.c and their shooting history on the ATA (or equivalent) websites as more confirmation that he/she isn't a scammer or deadbeat.

2. I prefer to cut the deal on the phone. However, I confirm ALL significant details of the transaction in writing. That's true regardless of which side of the deal I'm on. For example, I include (or request),

A clear item description - including the manufacturer, model and serial numbers

Several clear photos and a meaningful statement of the item's age/condition
    "Minty" doesn't cut it nor does "it's a sweetheart".

Price and acceptable methods of payment: personal check, bank draft, money order - postal or otherwise.

An answer to this question: Must payment be received and/or a check cleared before the item is shipped?

Shipping details - which carrier, insurance or not, the shipping address (an ffl if the item is a gun.)

Details of the inspection period, if any.

What constitutes grounds for an item to be returned?

Who pays what fees? Shipping and insurance, ffl fees, return shipping if applicable and who's responsible if something is lost or damaged during shipment?

3. Each side is responsible for clear communications. In addition to written confirmation of the deal, I send notes about critical dates and times. For example,

The date & time I mailed a check or shipped an item.

If I'm selling, I email the buyer a tracking number the same day I ship it.

When I received a check or received the item.

Follow these steps and it's highly unlikely you'll have a problem. If there is a problem, you have a detailed paper trail of evidence to support your position with the law.

Hope that helps.

sissy

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are shopping for a gun, the first step is to line up an FFL holder that is willing to make the transaction. This guy will tell you what you need to have the seller do.

Now as far as making a deal with an individual on TS.com, I ahve had nothing but good transactions and everyone has been a pleasure to deal with. True men that don't mess around and try to cheat you out of anything. I'm sure there are exceptions but you can weed these guys out just by asking a few questions such as 'has anyone traded with John XXXX?' You will get a quick response if this guy has done any deals on this forum. If not .... let the buyer beware.

13. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Make sure you know what you're buying --- ask questions and get the responses in writing. This is especially important with regards to an inspection period.

After you agree on a deal send the funds quickly and let the seller know you sent them. The seller you also let you know when the funds were received, when the gun was shipped, which carrier was used and a tracking number if applicable.

One thing to insist on is an understanding of what happens if the gun is lost or damaged in shipment. Many buyer's will tell you it's up to you to follow thru --- BULL! The gun isn't your's until you complete the ATF paperwork and receive it from your local dealer. Neither UPS, the Post Office or FedX will deal with whomever is receiving the package --- they will only deal with the sender as he is the one who paid for the service --- I know you paid him to ship but he's the one who actually paid the transporter. If a gun is lost or damaged you should get an immediate and complete refund --- getting the gun back or paid by the insurance is the seller's sole responsibility.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

DB Bill is 100 per cent correct on the lost gun thing! Or damaged for that matter. The reciever cannot even file a claim. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.