1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Point of Impact

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

I know this has been discussed hundreds of times but I can't find a thread that covers it. Is it 13 feet or 13 yards you shoot the pattern board for checking alignment of left and right? And the calculation as how high at the standard yardage shooting at the pattern board etc.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

13 yds. Ascertain the patterns center then times that by 3.

Curt

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

for right to left it doesn't make a whole lot of difference how far away you are, as long as it's far enough so you don't get hit with pellets that bounce off. 13 YARDS should be the closest you shoot at.

For vertical, above horizontal, POI shooting, anything between 13 and 20 yards works just fine. You'll get a lot of different recommendations here. I recommend you shoot at half the distance you care about. So if you shoot your singles targets at 30 yards, shoot for POI at 15 yards and double the result. If you are shooting 3" high at 15 yards, you will be shooting 6" high at 30(or close enough that you don't care).

Actual patterning should be done at target distance or 40 yards.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt gave an accurate and concise explanation. The few minor points he and I get into lively discussions about (distance from center of the bore and front sight, gravity) are fun but really make little difference.

The critical information you get from measuring the POI (I use 13 yards) is if you gun shoots high, flat, low, right or left. For most, assuaging numbers to these relative descriptions are not too important.

Pat Ireland

5. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

The above seems true for most guns, however shooting a high rib unsingle is like shooting an AR-15, as far as POI is concerned. The "sights" are quite a bit above the bore. If you shoot close, say 13 yards, the high rib unsingle (MX2005 for example) will seem to "print" low, or at least very flat. However, at the target breaking distance, say 35 or 42 yards, it could be 80% high. Patterning up close is good for R/L, but you do need a few "at the distance" to check the Verticle.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Nope, wrong! If it's a 4" POI at 14 yards, it will be 8" at 28 yards

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Just to make a point... If you had a gun (rifle or shotgun) that had the sights 12" above the bore, and somehow the bullet (or shot) hit exactly what you were aiming at at say 40 yards, do you think at 20yards the bullet would strike a little low?

8. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

(sorry for the two posts)... Using the above example, if you adjusted the comb to make the gun shoot 2" high at 13 yards, would you expect it to shoot 4" high at 26 yards, and only 6" high at 39?

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Guns with unusual ribs, (or even underbarrels) need special treatment, just as Shooter R says. The Ireland/Winston formula is recommended, though I guess neither of us have found much use for the resulting (accurate) number. For me "low, flat, a little high, very high" tells the tale.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.