1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Point Of Impact

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cp, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cp

cp TS Member

I was talking to a friend of mine by phone last night. He asked me a question that I have seen the answer on here, but never paid to much attention to the thread.
    OK here it is. If he has a gun which shoots a 50-50 pattern. Now if he raises the comb 1/8 of a inch, how much higher would he be raising his point of impact at 40 yards. Is there a rule of thumb? The reason he asked me this question is he purchased a wrap around pad that fits over the comb. As most of you know it has spacers to raise the point of impact. He is looking for a starting point before he patterns.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The Churchill method is close. He says each 1/16th inch of comb rise at 16 yards equals 1 inch. At 32 yards that's 2 inches of rise so Hoosier Dad is right there or close enough for government work. Hap

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hoosier Daddy gave a good general answer. The actual change will vary a little depending on the distance between the eye and the front sight.

Pat Ireland

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hoosier gave you the correct answer. Pat gave you correct information if you have a fixed rib, or an "adjustable" rib that works like his.

Have him be careful with the wrap around part. An 1/8" thick pad will move your cheek over and you'll be shooting the same 4" different at 40 yards, this time to the right or left depending on handedness.

5. cp

cp TS Member

Thanks alot for the come back guys. He will appreciate your information. Like I said earlier, I really could not tell him where to start other then just plain go out & experiment with the board.

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

So ,to put 2 threads together....I'm going to try an 1/8" spacer for 30yd Oakley's tomorrow night and report back. I haven't touched my comb since Tom Smith fitted me,but I'm ready to see if 1/8" works better at handicap.It's a 14yd difference (from 16yd),and everything I've seen/read/heard says I'm shooting under the bird.On 16 yd my beads (if I care to look at them) are "just" under the bird.I've had some success at Oakley's.....but not sure why?Pat I. said shoot under on 16yd/ cover at handicap....other say 1/8" will do the same for POA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

point of impact trap shooting