1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Point of impact preference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nascarfan888, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

Hey guys was wondering if there is any real advantage to shooting a gun with a high point of impact such as 60/40 70/30 or is it just a preference and is there any really good shooters shooting guns like 50/50

John

2. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

50/50 is pretty flat and probably not well suited for handicap but would work well for singles targets. I prefer 60/40 or 70/30 any more than that and I have a tough time.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I start at 80-20 and go up from there.

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

You call 60/40 or 70/30 high shooting? lol. heck 100% isnt high enough. I havent found a single person that can shoot my model 12 set at 160%. I have trouble moving up to a target. I basically "run out of track" and stop. My solution is to set the POI high, Start the gun parallel with the ground, and just move the gun side to side for angles or trap the target right out of the house for a straight away. this technique works extremely well for consistant targets. However, shooting in high winds that push the targets down will ruin your day. its extremely hard to get under a fast diving target with a gun that shoots 160%. And the exact opposite is true. if you are shooting in wind that pushes the target up then a high shooting gun works to your advantage. most shooters with a lower POI will shoot right under a target in these conditions, but you will smoke those high targets. BYG

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap targets are a rising target, you need a built in vertical lead. HMB

6. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Shawn, I agree with you 100%, very good reply.

Trap-4

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

80/20 to 110%, depending on how fast you shoot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

60/40 on all my shotguns, as long as I know where it shoots I can do my part.

I prefer to lead, not letting my gun to do my job, so I can pick up any gun, anywhere, and shoot any game.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

TO answer your question, alot would depend on your style of shooting and how you see the barrel/bird relationship. Second, the advantage to keeping a higher POI is your ability to keep the bird insight at all times till firing. If shooting in wind presentations, this is definetly an advantage as they call fall right out from under a gunner who has to cover to make the kill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.