1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Point of Impact adjustment info needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tburrey, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I've decided to try raising my stock some so my gun will shoot higher. Does anyone know how much increase there would be in the pattern based on say an eighth inch adjustment for a forty yard pattern? Also interested in other figures at 40 yards such as sixteenth inch adjustments, quarter inch and so forth. Tom

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tom......don't get locked in on 40 yds. All guns are different. Most targets are broken around 32 yds from the 16 yd line. Pattern your gun at about 15 yds to get in the ball park.....then move back to 32 yds and shoot benchrest. Adjust your adjustable stock up,down,right,or left, as necessary, til you get the POI you want at that distance.

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Since your gun is shooting 50/50 put on 3 layers of moleskin and try it. Only put it on top of your comb not the sides. If that works then think about having your comb cut and made adjustable. I used to shoot a pretty flat gun but have found the older I get and the more experienced the higher I like to shoot. My gun is set at 100% high.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Churchill says 1/16th inch of comb rise at 16 yards is about an inch of elevation. Close enough to get you into fine tuning. Hap

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

tburrey - this is not a critique of your wish, it is just an observation and I mean no offense. A flat sheet of paper giving you the answer is not going to survive in the round world of shooting. It is likely that your shooting POI cannot be extrapolated from a "let's stand still or check from close range from a bench" POI.

You want to raise the POI for what reason? Are you always knocking the bottoms off the targets (16 yards)? To be fair, "going to try something" in trap means shooting at least 1,000 shells and under different conditions and different clubs.

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Raise it till you have no shot on the target drawn on the paper that you shoot at 32 yards when you put your sight right on the bottom of the target. Then see where you are at when you are shooting at real targets. That will get you in the ball park.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tom,

I had P&P (when they were P&P) set the POI on one of my Model 12's and they used shims to get it where I wanted it and then made the permanent fix to the stock itself ... You don't have to move the back of the gun a lot go move the front of it a bunch ... I figure almost any of the gunsmiths that have been around for awhile can probably do it without messing it up ... If you run into a guy with Red Hair who claims to be a stock man run the other way pronto ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Raising the comb 1/8" raises the POI by 1" every 10 yards. So 2" for 20 yards and 4" for 40 yards. Take it to the bank.

Extrapolate other dimensions. 1/16" is half of 1/8" so POI will be 2" at 40 yards. 1/4" is twice 1/8", so 8" at 40 yards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how far does point of impact change at 40 yards for one sixteenth inch adjustment

setting point of impact trap

shotgun point of impact adjustment