1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

poi with different loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nut, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nut

nut Member

Had a friend ask me if different loads can change your point of impact.
    My answer was that it could not what is your opinion on this question?

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

faster loads will seem to shoot higher, because they get to the target before the charge has dropped as far. Make sense?

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

EuroJoe, have you personally tried this? 1-1/8 oz @ 1090 and 1-1/8 oz @ 1310 or so to see which one shoots higher, and, if it really does? Hap

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

On paper? = yes

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Martin is correct.. The answer can be found in the older Lyman reloading book..Look at drop at 20/30/40/50 yards.. and you'll also see The larger shot drops less at long ranges. For long range shooting.. speed is your friend.. but 50 fps at the muzzle will make 8's perform like 7.5's..

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At short range slower loads have a higher POI. This is because of the launch angle. When the shell is fired the muzzle starts to rise, a slow moving projectile takes longer to travel down the barrel and is launched at a higher angle. HMB

7. nut

nut Member

He was shooting paper at 15 yards with three difersnt loads
    one at 1190 1225 1290

8. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well while we are on this, I just took my Super X1 out Thursday. It has a brand new IM fixed 30" barrel. Anyways from the 16 it was ink dotting targets or I was missing completely, I was shooting a full 3 dram 1 1/8 load, so am I correct in thinking that if I drop down to 2 3/4 dram the load will be slower giving the pattern time to open up?

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I tested Handicap and X-tra Lites at 20 yards and they all shot in about the same place.

Neil

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you look at the data published by Lyman.. the differences are fractions of an inch till you get to long yardage..so what Neil stated would appear correct. Math however would prove the statement not totally accurate.. Kind of like the Red Dot/Green Dot recoil perception.. On the other hand.. My biggest problem is I can't shoot slow shells at long ranges.. I too think they shoot to very similar POI.. but a slow shell goes pull..................break.. and a fast shell goes pull..break. Yes.. I know the math says is .005 of a second difference.. But my mental computer DOES see that. Big time.. From the 27..my bottom speed is about 1240/1250 fps.. Any slower and it all goes bad very quickly for me.. In a blind shell test I was 92% with fast shells.. and 68% with slow shells.. not knowing what was in my shotgun at the time.. It might only be me.. BUT.. it is me and I must learn from that.. All Good.. Mike

11. racer

racer TS Member

I can second what ParazziBB is saying about the perception of slower shells in handicap. The math doesn't support the feedback, but for me I get about 5-6 shots per hundred that the thought I missed flashes through my head then the target breaks. I always thought a person doesn't really "see" whats going on as the gun discharges but maybe the recovery time is the differance between shooters.(?) Dan

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Home spun theories aside. Poi can change; in fact it changes from shell to shell of the same load. Harmonics long recognized in rifle shooting can play a similar role in shotguns. Some loads seem to hit the same place; others won't group and others move the group. Shoot all shells you intend on using. This is the reason most top shooters shoot only two or three different loads. ( you won't see a top competitor testing a new favorite pet hand load every week)

Joe

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

POI does change. My bunker loads shoot way flatter out of my O/Y than my handicap loads do. I absolutely cannot switch between 24g @ 1325fps and 1150fps without adjusting the rib.

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Which way I wonder - I take "up" (POI-wise) when you shoot bunker loads, right? And how much, zzt, more or less? And do you have to apply a similar lateral correction?

Neil

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

personally I doubt that it would make a measurable difference, certainly not a practical difference.......

John C. Saubak

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.