1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI up or down

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangn7, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Need help, To lower my POI do I lower or raise my comb?

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

lower it.

tony

3. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Are you sure it needs go down??

4. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Phil no I am not sure. Last weekend I went from a 97 singles to a 86 singles and have stayed in that area for several practice rounds. It seems now that I have to hold 12 to 18 inches low on the bird to get a solid hit. Started getting a slight flinch so I am bearing down more and seeing a very flat 8. If I lower the comb I will not have an 8. Not the gun or shells or choke its me. Thought I was lifting my head or stopping my swing but people tell me Im not. Maybe its so slight they cannot see it. HELP Please

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

hang, it's time to lock that trap for a straightaway from #3, and shoot some targets, seeing your breaks. then adjust comb up to shoot higher, down to shoot lower till you get the breaks (smoke) you want.... also, if your shooting left, move comb right, and vice versa...

trying to adjust by shooting regular trap events is a waste of your time until you get it straightened out..

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Hangn7:

If you were shooting in the high 90s with this gun, and suddenly have dropped to the 80s, I don't think you should be hasty in changing the POI. It is far more likely that something has changed in the way you are shooting. This could be anything from a newly developed flinch (pretty common) to an unrecognized change in your stance, weight gain or loss (which affects how the comb fits your face), or many other factors in how you shoot. Changing the gun at this point might temporarily help with breaks, but if the real problem is something like flinch or stance, etc, the problems will soon return. I would try and find a pro or at least a really knowledgeable shooter at your club to watch you closely, look for flinching (one way to try this is have someone else load each shell, slipping in a snap cap somewhere in round-when you "fire" the snap cap, any flinch will quickly become evident) or other shooting behavior (stance, form, etc). When a sudden slump in shooting occurs like this, the problem is almost always the shooter, not the gun. JMHO.

Jim R

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What kind of gun? Secondly, if it is an adjustable gun, is all still tight, including the stock and rib and comb? Thirdly, if there is a flinch coming on and a sudden drop in scores, check the trigger for poundage and for consistency. Also, depending upon the type of gun, look for a broken firing pin.

How do I think I know? Been through all of that last year and shot some awful scores with gun coming apart on me. I'd come back to trap after a long hiatus, and ended up reduced from the 21 to the 19.5 when those awful scores were factored in. What a welcoming..a new gun that went of adjustment twice, the stock came loose once, and the trigger would never hold a setting. Oh well, Murphy's Law and my bad preparation of the machine.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Have you changed the distance you shoot the target? Some people slow down "making" sure of the shot and change the dynamics of POI drastically. Hap

9. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you to all, Iam shooting a browning special trap edition. Changed the recoil pad back to the original. I had forgot I had installed a different one( old age)Shot a 94 in singles today. It feels better now. Will be shooting on a windy snow storm tommorrow so I will see if it holds. I very much appreciate your input and have learned alot from it. Thanks to all and have a grewat weekend. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.