1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI to the left - What to do???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by strohkr, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strohkr

strohkr TS Member

We went out to discover what the POI of our shotguns were - and I walked away somewhat concerned. My friends pattern was 70/30 with a perfect POI (he shoots a Citori).
    Mine had a 60/40 pattern - my POI was to the left of center (with maybe 70% of the shot to the left). I'm shooting a 391. Every shot I took was to the left of center - my friend also shot it and it was to the left of center. He feels I should change chokes (get some Brileys and throw away the factory ones) - I have absolutely no clue if Brileys are going to help or not. They are quite spendy and I'm not looking at throwing away more $$$ on different chokes (guess you can't return them after you shoot them!).
    I'm at a loss....
    Any suggestions????
    Thanks much.
    Greg

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

391? Easy. Bend that sucker. You need to go past a little because they spring back. I saw a guy take an autoloader and whack it on a pile of shot bags till he thought it was right. It was, he went out and shot a great score.

You could buy another barrel if you need to.

HM

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Forget the bending stuff with your gun.

Your gun needs some cast off, assuming you're right handed or cast on if you're a lefty. You can make that adjustment on a 391 by changing the stockbolt washer. Beretta (or Coles) sells stockbolt washers with offset holes (several different sizes) designed to promote cast. You might have had an extra one or two with the gun when you bought it - not sure about that though. This is an oblong washer inside of the stock that the stockbolt goes through. Take a look at the one that's in your gun. If the hole is in the middle of the washer, you need to purchase one with an offset hole. If the hole in your washer is already offset, just turn it over to accomplish want you want. What I'm saying will become clear once you look at it.

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

One other thing... it's probably not the choke tube.

5. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I have a stupid question! Who shoots targets off of a sandbag?

Think about it!

Ed

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, it's possible the stock shims are in backwards. DX=Right handed, SX=left handed. If it's cast on (toward the shooter) it would cause it. Beretta stocks tend to be very thick, so, If you have a thick face, or wide eyes, you may need to shave a bit off to get it where you want. Chokes aren't the solution here...

Jim

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If it doesn't shoot straight, get rid of it. But as many have stated on this forum many times, I believe you should check the POI from a bench and at close range. When you say "(with maybe 70% of the shot to the left)", you must have tried to look at POI from pattern distance and in my opinion, that is a mistake.

8. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

how are barrels bent, just curious

9. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

10. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

11. teleskier

teleskier Member

If your poi is to the left...shoot more to the right...

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

This is precisely why we trade guns!

Glory be to the trap Gods!

Hauxfan!

13. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

OK guys. I'm going through the same thing right now. I was having an awful time at handicap yardage. I've begun getting hints that I was shooting left. I patterned my gun at 13 yards. It was shooting almost 2 inches left with a full choke that is believed to be a stock skb choke. Had 3 other shooters try it. All shot same amount to the left with a bit of variablitiy in the height. I put another choke tube in that was extra-full and the pattern moved nearer the center albeit slightly left of center. I ordered a Briley choke but it hasn't arrived yet. So what is the right answer here? Is it true that right handed shooters shoot left on stationary targets, as Tron suggested.

all the best,
    john

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

To answer the question:

Barrels can be bent with either a hydraulic press or a jig with a forcing screw, supporting with "v" blocks on either side of the contact area.

Typically you want to use a dial guage to measure progress during the sacrilegious act.

A tree crotch works too.

HM

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

So... If right hand shooters normally shoot left on the bench, do you adjust R/L on the bench w/ the comb or not? Only way to tell is on straightaway targets? Then why bench? Height on the bench means little unless you know what you need for 16's and hadcap.

If your guns dead on at the bench, will shoot a little right at straightaways?

Here we go again.

16. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

OK guys,if you benchrest the gun ,and you are looking down the middle of the rib,and it shoots straight,the gun is OK.If you shoulder the gun and shoot the paper and it is left of centre,its a comb problem.
    Trons telling bs,most shooters finch away from recoil when patterning a shotgun,for right handers,high right is normally where the shot lands.Regards Ross

17. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I found this in the archives as you can see it was posted from zzt. It seems to be a pretty good way of dealing with the issue.

Tron. I rarely doubt you. I just suffer from an affliction that compels me to understand something rather than just accept it.

all the best,
    john

+++Results Of Pattern Test for Neil Winston
    Email:
    Date: 16-May-06

I don't think you provided enough info on your other thread, or this one, to provide good advice. So here goes, by the numbers:

Are the beads centered on the rib? Did you align the beads when you shot from the bench? Did you test more than one choke tube?

Shooting from a bench with properly installed beads, aligned tells you where your barrel and/or choke is shooting. If you aligned the beads when you fired all those shots, either your barrel is bent, or your choke tube is a problem (not all that uncommon, unfortunately). To know which, you have to try all your tubes. If they shoot to different POIs, then it's the tubes, although there could still be a barrel problem. If the same POI, it's the barrel.

If you didn't align the beads and just looked at the front bead, then you don't really know anything yet, except the gun shoots left_for_you.

Do your bench test again, making absolutely sure you are sighting straight down the center of the rib. Whether the beads are buried or fig8 does not matter at this point, but they must be perfectly aligned left to right. Fire at least 4 shots with each choke tube. You may find that only two or three shoot to the same POI. Let's say 3 shoot to the same spot. If that spot is dead on target, your barrel is true. If off target, your barrel is bent or the choke tube are not concentric with the bore. Either way it's a barrel problem.

If your barrel shoots true from the bench and left when you mount it on your shoulder, you need stock work. You previously said you moved POI right by about 3" by pushing the comb all the way to the right. That means you need almost as much additional correction to make the gun shoot where you look. Cutting a Bonillas dish in the left side of the stock and comb will let your face move further right, but that would be a pretty deep dish. I think you'll need at least 1/4" and probably 3/8". If you don't want to cut your stock, you can have it bent in a day. Or, you can call Kreighoff and order an offset stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to adjust shotgun poi right to left with cast

if pattern is left of center adjust cast on a beretta