1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

POI Setting for K80 O/U Barrels in Trap Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cyrus, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

What is your preference for setting up the POI for a K80 Trap Special ie. 90%/10% Bottom, 80%/20%Bottom 60%/40% Top. I have a Varity of Hanger 2-6 any cannot seem to get it just right. With the price and shortage of ammo in New York. I would greatly appreciate your comments. BTW, I normaly use an IC or LM for the Botton and a IM or LF for the Top Barrel and shoot fairly fast. Thanks Jeff.
  2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Active Member

Put in a 5 and go shoot Jeff, it will all work out. Harv
  3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They don't all shoot the same place with a #5 hanger.
  4. Kemper

Kemper Member

What are your averages
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Kemper ,Was shooting around 90 of 100, then I changed from my MX10RX, Wilkson tuned, However, due to 2 cracked stocks went to my 32" Krieghoff DTS O/U. To add to the situation, they changed Trap machines from Star's to Pat's at my club, now my scores are way down on the especially on the second shot, it's the pits, my 1st. shot is still spot on, I shoot fast and the POI on the botton is close to 90% high. but the clays are at a different heights (left one is lower than right, and really noise dives on the 2nd shot) so I have been shooting the 2nd, Top barrel shot at around 70/30 POI do to the drop of the left bird. I normally shoot am LM #9 or #8.5 1 or 1.5 oz. 2 3/4 dr. Top shot an IM or LF #8 1 1/8 2 3/4 dr. I have used # 2-5 Hangers and it seems the 2-3 are about the best I can get, However still not correct. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff (516) 766- 0784
  6. hmb

hmb Active Member

I think you should adjust the trap machine first. Then when the targets are flying at the same height you can adjust the POI of your gun. HMB
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

hmb, sounds like a good move and would allow me a more consistant second shot. However, I do not have authory to make theses types of adjustmants on newly installed machines. On the pattern board, I still can't get the POI lower on the Top barrel without droping the Bottom one lower for a fast shot out of the house, kind of TRAPING THE BIRD. Thanks Jeff
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Harve and Setterman. Thank you very much for your reply. I will evaluate ALL suggestions carefully and see if I can correct this pain in the AS#& situation. Regards Jeff
  9. hmb

hmb Active Member

Jeff,
    You need the POI of the second barrel to be right. That's the bird that's giving you trouble. The first bird you can shoot fast with a skeet choke and not have to worry about a perfect POI. HMB
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

hmb, If I could ask your advise one more time, what would you recommed for the POI for the second. shot. I agree with you the first shot is much more cooperative, I will take your advise an set up the POI consentration on the SECOND SHOT. Thanks again, Jeff
  11. Kemper

Kemper Member

Cyrus, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you got too many things going on in your head.

1. Doulbles targets are up and down from the wind, learn to lead the gun with your eyes.

2. The stocks were inletted improperly if they cracked when you shot them.

3. The points of impact should be pretty close to the same. Maybe a little higher on the 1st shot, but not much.

4. You can't shoot that DTS bbl yet, maybe never. Start with a standard bbl, or go back to your MX10.

5. Hire a good coach to teach you to shoot doubles. But just so you know, doubles are the last to come shooting trap. Singles is the basis of the game.

6. My buddy Mike Blaisdell lives up by you, he is a good coach close to you.

7. You have to learn to be a shot maker to be a good doubles shooter, the second target is tough, but the first target makes the second harder or easy depending where you hold the gun, and where you look for the first target.

If you want Blaisdell's number send me a PM.

Good Luck,

Barry
  12. PSA #33

PSA #33 Member

Cyrus, Take Mr.Kemper's advice, and sign up for Kay Ohye's class at
    May 10 & 11, 2013 Cheshire County Fish & Game Club, NH.
    May 12, 2013 Cheshire County Fish & Game Club (Doubles Only), NH
    Thats Mike Blaisdell home club, so you will have alot of 'doubles Karma' exposure.
  13. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

30" DTS barrels. #3 hanger, IC choke in the bottom barrel, MOD in the top with the rib all the way down in the front. On mine #3 hanger lets the bottom barrel shoot just a little bit higher then the top. Like they say not all barrels shoot the same with the same hanger.

Bruce
    bullettheturtle_2010_2304254.jpg
  14. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

I would like to thank EVERYONE for the responce and for the phone call. Received alot of great info that I will put to good use. Anyone else have a suggestion, Please feel free to reply. Thanks Jeff
  15. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

16. hmb

hmb Active Member

Jeff,
    You have two ways of adjusting the POI of the top barrel on a K-80. You can raise or lower the comb and you can raise or lower the height of the frront sight. I would start out with a 50/50 POI, and make needed adjustments from there. HMB
  17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Active Member

A few years ago Phil Kiner did a doubles survey. The men surveyed were Harlan, Leo, Ricky, Eric and Bob Munson, and Ray Stafford.

All used chokes tighter than some responders. They ranged from 17 thousands to 30 thousands for the first shot. The second shot ranged from 27 to 40 thousands. Almost all used the same POI for both barrels.

I would like you to not try to re-invent the wheel. Kemper's advise is spot on. Listen to him. When I was in my prime I shot a Super-X, it had a Tom Seitz barrel that had 32 thousands choke and of course the POI was the same for both shots. I had a 97 avg for the year with that combination in 1985. I'm 76 years old now but still enjoy the sport.

Tom Strunk
  18. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Active Member

Tom's advice is what I have heard also. Cyrus, this may help, may not. Last year had a gun that was 80/20 patterns both barrels, no adjustment, gun value determined not worth putting more money in it. Have switched guns (ironically an MX10) and was shooting doubles, set rib so I was 80/20 (checked it on paper)anyway, long story short, Was not breaking them well, changed Rib to 60/40..........smoke, smoke. Works way better on Dubs for me, I shoot 1st bird fairly fast out of the house, you do not "have" to have a high POI for that first shot. It easy to smoke them hard. Second bird with 60/40 is very easy to smoke. And remember some days the wind is behind you, you are able to get that bird with out floating it a lot. YMMV. For what it is worth, Dan Bonillas shot a fairly flat gun, and it appeared he knew how to shoot doubles. Scott
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.