1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI revisited

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center> This may or may not help This is from early days of dialing in my XT The small solid green dot was where the front bead was hitting the larger representing the target, sort of. Adjusting the comb higher you can see where the shot has change POI point of impact. My POA point of aim or where the front bead was aiming has not changed not changed. I have all but ignored the mid sight. Adjusted my comb until POI was where I felt it needed to be. Then making minor adjustments until I was happy. I now Have a PFS stock and am starting all over again.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's 50/50, MRD.

But now we want to understand a little better what you are telling us, because what I wrote won't help you raise that score. I'm not grilling you, please understand, just trying to figure out what's happening.

How high the gun shoots depends on where your eye is. You wrote "I was shooting high all day."

1 If shooting high means shooting over, how do you know?

2. Did moving the stock on your shoulder really, I mean really, change your view down the gun that much? It is most often basically set by the cheekbone and stock, far less by the spot on the shoulder. Just checking, that's all.

Neil

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

geezzz, locktime another thing to adjust 2!!!!! /so far pattern on paper and final adjustment on targets works for me. I found 2 crappy chokes because of the static pattern test. You need to just take your time try several methods until it just clicks for you. I like to use Neil W. method for me it works. There are some final small tweaks I will make at the line.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And don't forget to figure in the effect of the wind on the target. If from behind the target will be flat and if it is incoming it will make the target rise faster. Who said trap shooting was easy? HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Testing the POI from a rest is a way to determine where the gun shoots. This may or may not be related to where you shoot the gun. My gun shoots almost 5 inches high at 13 yards from a rest and I still shoot under some targets on the line.

I believe the POI test is most important to make sure the gun is not shooting to the right or left. Next, the POI will tell you if the gun is shooting flat, a little high or a lot high. I would not get overly concerned about the difference between 1 inch high at 13 yards and 2 inches high at 13 yards.

Ducks- You described your sight picture and cheek pressure when you mounted the gun. What is unknown is what happened to your head position and how you saw the bird after you called "pull".

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.