1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I know this has been discussed on hers but i could not find the old thread. My gun shoots approx. 2 in. high at 13 yards. What is the calculation for POI at 40 yds. Thanks, Tim

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Tim... If your gun shoots 2" high at 13 yards, it will shoot 6" high at 39 yards. In percentages, your gun shoots a 70/30 pattern at 39 yards.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Classic Trap

Classic Trap TS Member

The calculation is done by using a simple cross-product algorithm (pre-algebra). Ask any junior high kid for help! 2"/13 = N"/40 This will work for any known ratio to compute an unknown. Same same as if I can buy 7 apples for $2.00 how many apples can I buy for $3.75? If my POI is 5" at 16 yd, what is my POI at 40 yd? 5"/16 = N"/40. Do the math, its easy and fun and you can compute the POI at any distance. (at the distances we shoot, its really linear and you get a very accurate one-to-one correspondence)

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's close enough, assuming your gun isn't some high-rib Special, but to say it's linear is not true, since the effect of gravity is not linear. It's not even true to say it's very accurate but it's OK if you aren't very fussy.

We only get away with such rough approximation because once you know your 40 yard POI there's nothing you can do with it anyway. If the number made any difference, we'd work to get it right.

Dan, once you know where a gun shoots, what does that percentage stuff add? Let's just let it die a deserved and un-regretted death.

Neil

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Classic Trap- Your calculations will not work, as Neil stated. The 3X the height at 40 yards works fairly well for most guns because the height from the bore to the front sight cancels out the fall due to gravity reasonably accurately at 40 yards.

Pat Ireland

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Neil.... I would love to, however, you KNOW there ia always someone that just HAS to know the percentages rather than the actual figures...... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.