1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

poi question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

I would like to find the best choke for my turkey hunting gun It is a 870 express. I plan to shoot 3" turkey loads. Here is my question. I don't want to get beat up shooting 3" mag turkey loads to find the poi for different chokes. Could I just use my trap loads to find the poi for different chokes? pick the best one. Then use the turkey loads to find the one that patterns best.
    thanks
    mike t

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes. Try putting a bag of shot between your shoulder and the butt plate when you shoot the heavy loads. That will reduce the recoil. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- The POI with one barrel/choke should be nearly the same with a trap load and a hunting load. I would enjoy getting into the small differences that would result from the velocity and gravity fall that could make around 1/16 inch difference, but I like theoretical things that have no practical application.

Remember, your hunting load will probably not pattern as well as your trap loads and this makes the POI much less important.

Pat Ireland