1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poppat, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poppat

poppat Member

I had a gracoil adjustable butt plate and an ajustable comb installed on my sons 686 should get it back tomorrow. My question is what is the best POI I mean top to bottom left to right. We are new to this so any information would be helpful.
    Terry

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At 13 yards 2 to 3 inches high and dead on left to right. That is a good starting point. Next set the trap machine on straight aways from station 3 and fine tune the comb height so you ink ball the targets with a full choke. HMB

3. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

What HMB said.

Pat

4. Beni

Beni Member

ditto beni

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with the advice above but... avoid snap-shooting the straight-aways. Swing on them with the same speed as would be used with normal shooting.

Rollin

6. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

hmb suggests 13yds. poi determination which is great but being new to this let me explain. Set a table with gun rest at 13 yds. and see where the gun shoots. 1" above poa (point of aim) @ 13yds will be 3" high center of the pattern @ 39 yds. About where you would break a trap target if you shoot @ moderate speed. 2" high poi @ 13yds would be 6" high center of the pattern @ 39 yds. 3" high would be 9" high @ 39 yds. you get the drift. Now you know where your gun shoots. Choose the poi you want to start with and head to the #3 post to shoot straight aways to adjust your comb to ink ball the target. After you determine where the comb best allows you to crush the target you can return to the patterning board and shoot a 13yd to see just what the poi is. 3" high @ 39 yds is also termed 60/40, 6" high is 70/30, 9" high is 80/20 and so on. Hope this helps! Joe

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Shooting straight aways from post 3 is a good start till your obliterating clays. Leave everything as is and move to station 1 and continue shooting. Then station 5 for more. If you continue smoking targets from those stations with that comb setting, you've found your best POI for your personal timing to the target at that distance. Trust the findings at 3 but verify at 1 and 5.

You may need further adjustment depending on how you handle that comb setting at stations 1 and 5 due to a vertical height difference with those targets and your timing to them.

Hap

8. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Big Joe,
    Excellant explaination on the Winston Patterning Process. Scott

9. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Scott, Thanks, as you know it's definately a learning process and a lot of fun! Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.