1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Question For Mr. Winston

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by aaastalker, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaastalker

aaastalker TS Member

Hello Neil,

I have read some of your really great answers to threads discussing various technical shotgunning questions.

Here's my Question ?

Will different manufactures brands,and different velocities of shotgun ammunition change the POI on your gun once you dial it in.

Sincerely,

AAA

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

But of course...

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

AAA, when I tested the POI of Federal Extra-lites and Handicap shells, ten of each, off a rest at 20-some yards I could tell no difference.

A hapless bettor here wagered a nickel that if he replicated my test he would find a difference. He came to my MH last week in Tucson, nickel in hand. He'll confess here if he can bring himself to it.

And don't listen to Buzz. He's just trying to sell more of his books. His pen name is James Russell and he relentlessly promotes his broadsheets to unsuspecting shooters.

Neil

4. aaastalker

aaastalker TS Member

Neil,

Thanks for your feedback.

I know that a lot of great topics go around on this website.

All the posts that you have answered or authored, seem to be backed by extensive scientific testing, diagrams, charts and a working knowledge of the shotgunning sports.

Thanks Again,

AAA

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Geeez, Denny, please try to not beat around the bush so much, eh? Ya gotta admit, he really does clean up nice for photos - even ones 3 decades old..... Bob Dodd

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ummmm, I once tested several 1-1/8 ounce 7-1/2s at 1090 FPS, then did the same with several 1310 FPS and lost a nickel in the process! I just knew the higher speed loads would print higher!! If you just take a casual look at those patterns, it does "look" like the high speed loads pattern higher! Not true! The higher speed loads spread more which gives the casual lookie-loo the false impression it's higher. Measured from POA to the center of POI clearly shows both are the same, no differences.

Pay no attention to Buzz, he'll want to bend your barrel on some bow making machine he has and buy his book!!

Now, I hafta spin a few hundred targets to break even? :) haplessHap

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Gene, my friend...it takes a great man to admit when he made a mistake...and to all of your ts.com pals, too!!! I'll send you a nickel in the mail. :)

Wow, Buzzy knows a lot about everything...trapshooting, archery, motorcylcing, and now - it seems- even religion! Who woulda thunk it.

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I thought L&Ms were cigarettes in a red package...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.