1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Question #2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Gun has a Graco 6 way adjustable butt plate. Does moving the butt plate up or down effect the POI? Seems to me if the cheek is tight to the comb that the position of the butt plate would effect comfort only ad not POI. Am I wrong? Thanks, Jack

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jack,

Everything else being equal, moving the butt plate shouldn't affect the POI.

If moving the butt plate changes how you mount the gun,then it could have some effect.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

In theory you are correct, but not in practice.

If you use your cheek bone for an anchor point, the POI will change. If you move the pad down in order to keep your head more upright, this will pivot your head back a little. Since your cheek bone isn't flat, the new head position will change the distance your anchor point is from your eye. This, in turn, will change your POI.

It probably won't change dramatically, but it will change.

4. Martinpicker

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

What effects the point of impact is if your rear sight (eye) changes its relationship to the front sight (bead). If your butt plate causes you to shoulder the gun differently, causing your eye to see a different amount of rib under the bead, then the shoulder plate adjustment did effect the POI.
    dju

6. Martinpicker

7. sub sr.

sub sr. TS Member

raising the buttplate or pad lowers the stock and in effect inceases the upward angle of the gun thereby raising the point of impact --and in reverse you lower the poi

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Put the gun on paper and verify where it shoots. Having doubts about POI when on the line is not a good thing.

9. Martinpicker

Thanks guys. Shooting Coach, I think I will follow your advice. Jack

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

SubSr: You have it backwards.

11. davidjayuden

Dr:
    I may be a bit confused, but agree with SubSr, because he is describing raising the pad only, and thereby lowering the butt of the gun, and effectively raising the "rear sight" (seeing more rib), causing a higher POI:

"raising the buttplate or pad lowers the stock and in effect inceases the upward angle of the gun thereby raising the point of impact --and in reverse you lower the poi"

Am I missing something here?
    dju

12. Martinpicker

Aaahh! Now the debate begins! This is why I asked this. The same debate arose at my club. I argued that if your cheek remained firm on the stock that the POI would not change much. I thought that to vary the POI you would have to raise or lower the comb, not the buttpad. Jack

13. davidjayuden

True, your eye is the back sight, and if it doesn't change its relationship to the bead then the adjustment did not change your POI. Although most of the time changing the stock will cause changes in POI by changing the eye/bead relationship. But the best way to change POI is with the adjustable comb.
    My $.02.
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.